April 28, 2024, 05:12:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Bearing Replacement

Started by JDhog211, November 19, 2008, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

Hi All,
         Having read most of the posts regarding the removal of Cam bearings from their Cam plates and the bearings from the Cams, as described in Harley Hogs site, I see that the desired method is the freeze and heat method.
         Why not use the tools that are made just for that job, that is my question.  It seems to me that pressing in new bearing into a cam plate with the proper tool such as Jims or Georges Garage has would be the better way.
I've heard that this method applies too much pressure on the new bearings, and that the freeze/ heat method eliminates that threat.
         Can someone give me an answer for this one.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

djl

the "proper" tools are expensive; heat/freeze is easy and no cost; unless you do it day in and day out, hard to justify the tool cost.

ClassicRider2002

It seems to me that pressing in new bearing into a cam plate with the proper tool such as Jims or Georges Garage has would be the better way.

JDhog211~~~

You asked a great question, and in part djl answered it quite well, but another reason is if you have ever done this procedure.....you would quickly agree that the "oven" and the "freezing" of the different parts works quite well....and sometimes it works so well there is no "pressing" required, simply slipping into position.....or at most just a wee bit of light tapping.....which puts less "stress" on the individual parts....

Of course when you are doing a "cam" replacement, there is no substitute for the tool required for removal of the two inner bearings which are to be replaced with the torrington bearings....the proper use of this tool removes the risk of having any individual bearing pieces falling into the inner part of your engine.....which would result in having to fish for such or in a worse case resulting in "splitting" of the cases.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ICANTD55

Another reason ,, the transfer of the parent material. Sometime if its a tight fit between the bearing and the parent material a little part of the aluminum can come out with the bearing when pulled out or pushed into place. Not often but can happen. The freezing of the bearing cuts this risk down quite a bit for install. heating the plate for removal also makes removing the bearings easier also.
That said I use a press, and the tools, but still freeze the bearings.
RICK , MA

JDhog211

Thank you guys for your responses, well appreciated.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.