May 08, 2024, 10:49:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why did HD get rid of the throttle cable?

Started by wayzalot, September 01, 2009, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayzalot

I have been hearing about the TBW problems and keep asking myself Why not a cable.  I usually get 50,000 miles out of a cable and probably more if I lubed it.  Does anyone know why they changed.  How long until someone comes out with a cable conversion?   :pop:
"My life is based on a true story"

FLTRI

September 01, 2009, 06:56:44 PM #1 Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:00:46 PM by FLTRI
A couple reasons for the TBW:
1) The rider cannot ask the engine to lug more than the engine can withstand. Less apt to cause damage to the lower end.
2) An additional box is not necessary for cruise control. Throttle is controlled by the ECM.
3) No cables to have to service.
Prolly more but that's all I can come up with right now. :idea:
The auto industry has been using this technology for years (since 1997?). You may even have a car with TBW and not even know it.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Ultrashovel

The "fly by wire" system is in keeping with the way that all vehicles are going - almost totally electronic. I still have a bike with the cables but I can see advantages for the fuel injection system in being able to monitor throttle position more precisely.

Like all things having to do with Harley-Davidson motorcycles, some changes will go against the grain of the old timers. There will always be some resistance to change but, like it or not, the day is coming when it will be too expensive to work on your own bike, principally due to the fact that most of the control systems wll be completely electronic and computerized and the equipment needed will be proprietary to the MoCo. They are almost there with the "Digital Technician" laptop.

FSG

One of my comments when HD came out with the TBW was I was looking forward to the aftermarket coming out with a Servo Motor and TBW to control a CV, I'm still waiting, it'll come eventually.

FLTRI

Quote from: Ultrashovel on September 01, 2009, 07:03:42 PM
.....They are almost there with the "Digital Technician" laptop.
Well that was the idea....to eliminate the need for a mechanic...just hire a computer geek and the Dig-Tech will figger it all out.
Fortunately for real mechanics, the Dig-Tech can only read what the ECM has determined a problem which is fine for simple diagnosis, but is virtually useless for intermittent and/or failure that isn't logged into the ECM.
Bob

One4Tone

...I personally think it's all to do with "black box" intelligence...throttle position..may give indication of speed travel...this info would be invaluable to an insurance company in case of  an accident.....or  a particular rider's habits..(whether they acknowledge it or not)...it may in some cases,   also disable a vehicle,..like say..one may be required to pay a fine,..or pass an emmision test...no compliance?..you walk...sounds unreal?..well it's allready here, in some applications...maybe not in the motorcycle world...but it certainly in the automotive world and aeronautics...WHO'S NEXT...?...in the mean time..other reasons may be given...I think we've heard some allready...they are legitimate reasons ...but if the throttle  or a computer can be disabled...the only ride left is downhill..literally...so save your carburators and your intake manifolds.....they may come in handy some day..

Ultrashovel

Quote from: FLTRI on September 01, 2009, 07:16:54 PM
Well that was the idea....to eliminate the need for a mechanic...just hire a computer geek and the Dig-Tech will figger it all out.
Fortunately for real mechanics, the Dig-Tech can only read what the ECM has determined a problem which is fine for simple diagnosis, but is virtually useless for intermittent and/or failure that isn't logged into the ECM.
Bob

Well, of course. There are some problems that won't log into the ECM. In cases where there is a code, however, the D.T. does a pretty good job on some rather esoteric problems.

Nonetheless, that day is coming, when there will be a code for literally every last thing that happens to a motorcycle. It won't take much training, either, since the person doing the diagnosis will just be a 'button pusher". We're already there on some modern cars.

FLTRI

September 01, 2009, 07:41:48 PM #7 Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by FLTRI
Quote from: One4Tone on September 01, 2009, 07:22:42 PM
...I personally think it's all to do with "black box" intelligence...throttle position..may give indication of speed travel...this info would be invaluable to an insurance company in case of  an accident.....or  a particular rider's habits..(whether they acknowledge it or not)...it may in some cases,   also disable a vehicle,..like say..one may be required to pay a fine,..or pass an emmision test...no compliance?..you walk...sounds unreal?..well it's allready here, in some applications...maybe not in the motorcycle world...but it certainly in the automotive world and aeronautics...WHO'S NEXT...?...in the mean time..other reasons may be given...I think we've heard some allready...they are legitimate reasons ...but if the throttle  or a computer can be disabled...the only ride left is downhill..literally...so save your carburators and your intake manifolds.....they may come in handy some day..

It's a conspiracy!!!!  :hyst:

One4Tone

...well i suppose "1984"  by George Orwell was a conspiracy theory.. :rtfb:

codyshop

Quote from: FLTRI on September 01, 2009, 07:16:54 PM
Bob

What good is "Digital Technician" if only dealers have one?  The fact that you and I can't buy one is criminal.   Manufacturing a vehicle that only authorized dealerships can ever fix screws the consumer to no end.  Ray

wayzalot

Thanks for the info.  I am stuck in the drum brake, points, and carborator era.  Not quite but you know what I mean.  My OL says I hate change.  Lucky for her she's right.  :hyst:
"My life is based on a true story"

MaxxV4

Hey, one4Tone:
I finally got around to reading "1984" this past Spring. I know it only Sci-Fi, but getting a little too close to the truth. It was written back in 1949 IIRC.
Mike

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: wayzalot on September 01, 2009, 08:47:21 PM
Thanks for the info.  I am stuck in the drum brake, points, and carborator era.  Not quite but you know what I mean.  My OL says I hate change.  Lucky for her she's right.  :hyst:

LOL... I'm definitely keeping my old technology.  Everytime I read about things like TBW and all the crap that just makes a bike more expensive to maintain I'm that much more commited to my 60 year old technology.  Sure, I'll compromise on some things.  I run an electronic ignition in my panhead, but that could be put back to points in about an hour if needed.

Regarding the original question... why a TBW?  I believe it allows them to more easily meet emissions requirements.  The ECM takes input from the throttle, but ultimately it determines what to do with that input.

-Craig

frydaddy96

What TBW problems?  Its not like there is an abundance of problems.  And how many of these supposed problems are similar to a cabled throttled?

Micah68kjv

I'm keepin' my old carbed bike and if God is good it'll be the only bike I need till I go to Heaven. Don't care a'tall for all the new technology and I can still wrench on my bike and do anything I want to it. Hooray for old school even if it is only a five year old bike. At least I don't need to take it to the stealer any time it develops a simple problem. CV carb is so simple a 10 year old kid can fix it.

rigidthumper

I believe the real reason for most of the changes is this: The engineers feel compelled to come up with something new, to justify their existence. They made it through school, got hired, and now have to produce or face unemployment. Thus, we get gizmos we don't really need.
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HV

Massive TBW problems are much like the TC Crank run out...and  Cam Tensioner issues ... yes a few...but very little when you look at the number of TCs out there...

Aside from a few ECM connectors backing off the safety catch and making the TB not respond ....and a few user induced ( changing bars and messing up wires ) I see very few

Just this week Ive changed 7 primary chain tensioner's and a few clutch bearings ... look for these to be the next massive issues  :potstir:

As for the DT... its used more for flashing updated ECM OEM Flashes....and performing Marriage ceremony's between the TSSM and ECMs and doing Birth Certificates at PDI ...it also sends the MOCO info on everything the Dealers do to any bike ...RE Flashes.. :smileo:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

carolinayarddog

I average a broken cable about every year or so; good riddance

Deye76

I'm not against new technology, but what I don't like about the TBW is the "slop" in the grip. My cable actuated with 50,000 miles is still tight.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Quote from: MaxxV4 on September 01, 2009, 08:53:55 PM
Hey, one4Tone:
I finally got around to reading "1984" this past Spring. I know it only Sci-Fi, but getting a little too close to the truth. It was written back in 1949 IIRC.
Mike

We already have "1984" bigtime here in the UK. We now have chips in our garbage bins which tell the local authority if you`ve put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin, overloaded it, put it out for emptying too early and left it out on the street too long. The fine is up to £500. Don`t let it happen in the US.........
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

IBARider

Quote from: frydaddy96 on September 02, 2009, 02:19:28 AM
What TBW problems?  Its not like there is an abundance of problems.  And how many of these supposed problems are similar to a cabled throttled?

Huh?  OK here's my personal stats.  40,000 miles on a TBW and it's gone to idle on me 5 times.  Once while accelerating into fast lane with a car coming up on me.  this was a one time glitch.  4 of em were in same day and I got that one fixed.  Whenever it goes to idle and you have no throttle, you shut down and reset... not fun when you're trying to get outta the way of traffic... This thing is a POS, but been saying that bout HD for 40 years...

100's of thousands of miles with cables.  Problems? ZERO
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Ridetard

CraigArizona85248

I have no idea what the MTBF (mean time between failure) is for the TBW.  My objection is that they have taken something that worked really well (cable controlled throttle) and replaced it with something that might work equally as well but the new item costs about 40 times more to fix if it takes a dump.  Anybody know what that throttle mechanism costs?  I've been told it's about $700 vs. what for a cable, $20?  And that doesn't even include the labor to install the part.  So you are paying a lot more but from the users perspective I don't see that you are getting any benefit from TBW.

-Craig

harleyjt

There's a number of reasons for TBW.  
- reduces cost
- reduces build complexity
- reduces cost of ownership - less maintenance required.  No oil and adjustment on 2 cables.
- gives engineering more control of vehicle - they can now limit the rate of acceleration, etc.
- reduces clutter for better asthetics - same as when they got rid of the speedo cable some years ago
- state of the art technology.
- integrated cruise control - no more cruise module - again less cost and build complexity and much more
 dependable.  There should now be very few warranty claims on defective cruise control outside of bad
 switches.
- probably in an overall sense, somewhat more dependable than cables. I'm sure Engineering would be
 able to prove that statistically, whether its true or not.  
- could help reduce emissions by giving engineering control of throttle.   Software could limit speed,
 throttle opening, etc for emissions purposes.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Dennis The Menace

You hear about DBW issues because the majority of users dont post about it working.  Only a very small number of owners actually experience DBW problems, not a majority, as you may beleive.  At least, that is what my dealer told me.

As for me, I am not worried to upgrade my 07 cable bike to DBW.  Its proven technology, just look at the 1,000's of commercial aircraft using it every day transporting millions of people around the globe.  That isnt to say MoCo hasnt done a perfect job of implementing it, but same can be said for pretty much every part on a HD bike--it aint perfect for sure.

menace