April 30, 2024, 01:53:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Electric start tranny

Started by 48pan, September 01, 2009, 07:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

My first bike with a electric start. My question is, can you take the ratchet lid off without taking the tranny out of the bike?
It's not shifting right and I want to see if I can fix it without taking the tranny out.
Thank you in advance. It's a stock 76 FX or Fxe. I'm not too familiar with these new fangle bikes.

vern

i don't think you can take the lid of the tranny with out taking out the oil bucket and then the starter. so check the simple things, first clutch adjustment primary chain and the rear chain adjustment, good luck

48pan

Thanks  Vern. Yeah I know that stuff has to come off. My main concern is the primary chain and covers. I've check all the easy stuff and am sure the shifting problem is in the tranny. I'm just hoping it's the ratchet lid or the forks or something that can be fixed without taking the tranny out.
The problem is most of the time it won't go into 2nd gear without holding up the foot shifter until it engages.
anybody know if the lid will come off without taking the tranny out. My guess is it will. I just would like to know before I start.
Thanks

96flhpi

Can't say for sure on a ratchet but got my cowpie lid off w/ it still in the bike.  Back bolt on primary side was a pain in the a$$, had to modify socket but easier than pulling the primary.  Check the manual if you have one.  Mine specifically says it can be done - nevermind, checked my manual.  Says specifically to leave ratchet tranny in bike when removing cover unless other repairs are needed.  Good luck, mine was a pain.

vern

ok i've got a better picture now, i do believe that the lid will come of with the primary and tranny in place, the 2 bolts on either side of the ratchet are a pain and if you strip the heads it will become a nightmare, they are way down in there and most likely full of dirt. the rarchet itself has 2 springs in it, these springs break and or are rusted, also the ratchet unit gets stiff from old age like me, again good luck.

vern

i checked my manual and it sez you can service the lid with out taking out the tranny, but you have to remove the battery box and oil tank.

48pan

Thanks Vern. I should have checked the manual myself.  :bf:

96flhpi

48pan

I ended up taking the tranny out. After looking at everything, the only thing if found wrong was the throw out bearing. Is it possible the throw out bearing would not let it shift in only 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd? Doesn't make sense even took it to a shop to check the alignment of the rachet lid and the forks. He said everything looked fine.
Any thoughts