May 02, 2024, 12:01:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The highest TQ cam, 07 street glide, CNC ported heads, 113" motor 10.5 comp

Started by SE113, November 19, 2008, 07:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SE113

I have been looking at cams for about 6 weeks. I'm fixing to install some high TQ cams next week the problem is i still don't know which cam to go with. I have heard of about 4 good cams T-man 626 & 590 and woods 408-6 & 400-6 and SE260.  Right now i have the SE 264 I have a 07 dresser with a 113" motor, cnc ported heads stroker piston, 10.5 comp,Fatcat with big boar baffle. My TQ don't come on good untill around 3400 rpm i want it to come around 2500 rpm and not lose HP. The motor needs not to be to radical.
SESG

jaxhog

I have an 08 streetglide went to a 103 ci upgrade with wild things tc 4d cams, I hit 100 tq at 2700 rpm and still at 100 tq at 6000rpm. tq peak at 110 from 3500 to 5200!  My hp is 115.  10.5 compression and R&D performance heads  Vance and Hines tru duels.   I'm Happy
                              jack

skyhook

biggest question is what is your quench?...if you don't know, that's the first thing needs fixin'...second is the cam...last I checked, screamin' eagle from one of the discount houses are cheapest...251 grind with a spot-on tune would make great torque for ya
always seem to get their azz wet?

SE113

Right now with the 264 cam im at 100 TQ at 3100rpm im at 111TQ from 3500 RPM to 4500 RPM then it starts to drop, it doesn't drop under a 100 TQ untill 5400 rpm
SESG

skyhook

man, trust me...pull those cams out and throw them as far as you can...they're useless with your setup...I MIGHT run them in a 124 with 11 compression, but 113 @ 10.5...no thanks...get some way shorter cams and you'll be happy...was the quench distance blueprinted or was your motor just bolted together?...that is the MAIN ingredient of an htcc build!!!!

skyhook

forgot to say...I ran 264 cams in a 10.7 compression 103"...pulled them and installed 251 cams...man the difference was amazing!...torque came on at 2700 and pulled to 5500...in your motor, torque would come on before 2500...trust me...I hope to be master builder when I grow up!!!???!!!

RevFastEddy

Do you have compression releases? If so a woods 400 or 408... If not keep the ccp down or you will need to buy starters.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

GoFast.....

Quote from: dlocke67 on November 19, 2008, 07:28:29 PM
I have been looking at cams for about 6 weeks. I'm fixing to install some high TQ cams next week the problem is i still don't know which cam to go with. I have heard of about 4 good cams T-man 626 & 590 and woods 408-6 & 400-6 and SE260.  Right now i have the SE 264 I have a 07 dresser with a 113" motor, cnc ported heads stroker piston, 10.5 comp,Fatcat with big boar baffle. My TQ don't come on good untill around 3400 rpm i want it to come around 2500 rpm and not lose HP. The motor needs not to be to radical.

I really like the tw8-6 wood cam in the 113 and 114. I ran it in my 114 rev and that bike still is the number 1 street bike dynoed  for TQ and HP at Rocky Mountin Harley Davidson. Kind of a masterful dyno run :wink:. You PRESENTLY have a 60 closeing cam and you would be going to a 47. The cam is in between the 400 and the 408 and I do not think you need the 650 lift  I would be careful on not going to to early of a closeing and chokeing that big of engine. I wish you had a cc of those heads so we can determine the ccc. If you close it to early you could run into detonation problems.
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

fuzznut5197

Quotecnc ported heads stroker piston

SE heads with the 2.125 intake valves?

GoFast.....

Quote from: fuzznut5197 on November 19, 2008, 08:31:46 PM
Quotecnc ported heads stroker piston

SE heads with the 2.125 intake valves?
ti should have a 80 to around a 85 number. Someone will know if these are stock Harley SE heads

Deye76

Quote from: GoFast..... on November 19, 2008, 08:24:40 PM
Quote from: dlocke67 on November 19, 2008, 07:28:29 PM

I really like the tw8-6 wood cam in the 113 and 114. I ran it in my 114 rev and that bike still is the number 1 street bike dynoed  for TQ and HP at Rocky Mountin Harley Davidson. Kind of a masterful dyno run :wink:. You PRESENTLY have a 60 closeing cam and you would be going to a 47. The cam is in between the 400 and the 408 and I do not think you need the 650 lift  I would be careful on not going to to early of a closeing and chokeing that big of engine. I wish you had a cc of those heads so we can determine the ccc. If you close it to early you could run into detonation problems.
If the squish is not tight you'll get detonation also with those heads. A 47° close is OK IMO. I run those heads in a 113" with R&R .615 (gear drive) cams. They have a 47° close. However I had Axtell machine a 20° squish band in the heads, and have their matching pistons. Squish is right at .030".  CR is about 10.8:1. Those heads shine on the top end and are a poor choice for a heavy bike IMO (ask me how I know :embarrassed:) I had S&S.625's(55° close IIRC) in it for a while and they were pretty good also. If going to the Woods cams, and your worried about noise, change the overkill springs that came with those heads, and that should help a little.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

itsafatboy

Go with the woods tw8g cam it will pull all the way through, i got 132hp 140tq on a 10.8 comp 116" it pulls better than all the other cams i have tried ,  ss585, ss625g, woods tw9bg, tw9fg +4 (this was a close second),  tman 590  the tw8g has low tdc lift low overlap its just a great cam,  i have not tried the 408 or 400 but did not want that short duration and that much lift at the same time has to be hard on valve train,   

HD/Wrench

Come on Bob keep testing those cams give us the feed back  :hyst: you are always messing with that thing.  Drop me aline when you get time.

Don D

These are overly large ports and valves for a high wide torque band with any cam in the idle to 6k rpm range even with the 113" motor. When the HTCC CNC heads were installed on 95" motors the Woods cams shined especially the TW400g. The short timing, high lift and close LSA all coupled to return manors to the low speed range, raise peak torque and still pull on top. The cam I would use of the ones mentioned would be the TW408. I am not saying this is an optimum combination of parts just the best considering the heads and other parts being used.

GoFast.....

Quote from: itsafatboy on November 20, 2008, 08:18:32 AM
Go with the woods tw8g cam it will pull all the way through, i got 132hp 140tq on a 10.8 comp 116" it pulls better than all the other cams i have tried ,  ss585, ss625g, woods tw9bg, tw9fg +4 (this was a close second),  tman 590  the tw8g has low tdc lift low overlap its just a great cam,  i have not tried the 408 or 400 but did not want that short duration and that much lift at the same time has to be hard on valve train,   
Spot on, There is no reason to go to 650 lift for 90% of us. Most head won't flow it and it reduces engine life

Don D

Nothing wrong with the 8 either, but the poster said "high torque".  The 8 typically has HP numbers that exceed the torque whereas the TW408 is the opposite.

FatboyJoe01

Yo, skyhook, I just want to graduwait from high school. But for now I like to know your thoughts about going from a TW-8 chain drive to a TW-6HG gear drive. I basicly have "worked" std. HTCC heads and pistons, big air cleaner, 2-1 LSR RB racing pipe, PC IIIr. 110 TQ and 103 HP. Above 100 TQ from 3200 to 5200. Peaking at 110 TQ at 4700. Horsepower hits 100 at 5200 and peaks at 103 at 5800 and stays a little under that till 6200. I'm hoping to have a little more toqure down lower like 2500 2700. When I can easily ride the front wheel 8" off the ground thru 2nd and into 3rd, I'll be happy for a while.
                                                            JOE

skyhook

joe, I could repeat what I've heard others say about the 6h:  that it's a great torque cam and I'd expect it to come on sooner than the 8...actually I have ridden an '06 dyna 95" with mildly ported heads and the 6h cam and it definitely pulled like a tractor...didn't take it to the rev limiter or try to wheelie, but I was impressed...a few concerns about the change:  of course you'll lose a little top end going to a shorter cam...is your crank true enough for gear drive?...is the 8 loud?...the 6h I rode was pretty clacky, not sure how much valvetrain blueprinting had been done...how much compression are you comfortable with?...you will raise your dynamic compression considerably with that cam change...I've seen a lot of people on the net running 10.5 with the 6h, and they say those cams are very compression-tolerant...just understand you may have issues and the safe compression(to my mind) is a little lower than 10.5...you have standard htcc with work...that's good as they don't have the huge valves and ports of the cnc version...I'm assuming the quench was set correctly?...do you know your static compression?...cold cranking pressure with the 8 cams?...you say pc3r...is this magnetti marelli fuel injection?...if so you'll prolly benefit a lot from a shorter cam, as the mm are not known for peak hp

ederdelyi

IIRC, Joe posted his flow sheets on the old HTT before the build was done. At that time several posters (including me) commented on the "unusual" intake to exhaust ratios that his heads had. That said, I would bet that a cam that has less lift and/or duration on the exhaust side would wake that motor up ... BIG TIME.

This may be a real good fit for a cam like the WT26. Of course, as with all HTCC, getting the quench right is important. The std HTCC heads have a big intake (2.00) and a small exhaust valve (1.57 IIRC) and the porter apparently felt that he needed to "fix" things up ... IMO he fu*ked up :>) JMHO, BWTFDIK :>)