May 01, 2024, 04:12:40 PM

News:

Cam Swap-TW-8(chain) to a TW-6HG

Started by FatboyJoe01, November 19, 2008, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatboyJoe01

I wanted to get rid of the chain and tensioners anyway so, at the urging of one of my "dogs", I decided to change the cams a little from the TW-8-590 lift, 246 duration on exh. & int., with a 105 LSA to a TW-6HG w/590 lift, 240 duration on exh. & int., with a 101 LSA. Yeah, I know the benefits of the gear drive, but does anybody know how that change is going to effect my performance? Right now I'm at 110TQ and 103HP. The torque stays above 100 from 3200RPM to 5200RPM. Then the horsepower hit 100 at 5200RPM and climbs to 103 at about 5800. I also have a +4 degree grear. I'm hoping for more torque early on, hopefully at least 100TQ at 2400RPM. I'd really love to be able to pull the front wheel 8" off the ground thru 2nd gear easily and still be able to smoke the jap cruisers at 100MPH like they're standing still. Not that I ride like a maniac, I just like quickness and some top end at times. I appreciate your advice and opinions and any tech tips.
                                        JOE

ejk_dyna

<<but does anybody know how that change is going to effect my performance? Right now I'm at 110TQ and 103HP.>>

Something is holding your build hp down.  Your numbers are more like a tw6hg than a tw8.  A real strong tw8 build will be equal tq and hp...110/110 on a 95".  Are you running the +4 on the tw8?  That will hurt your hp and not help tq much.  +2 is OK though.

Generally speaking the tw6 will have a little more peak tq and come on 300-500prm early than the tw8.  The tw8 will produce more power from 4500 up.

sacbluescat

Joe , I currently run the Woods 6hg cams on my road king, STD #'s are 113 TQ and 108 hp,  headwork, approx 10.5 compression, stock headpipe and throttle body.  The Woods 8 cams should be better for your build , because you run a lighter bike than mine. Whats the rest of your build consist of, pipe, carb etc.?    sac

GoFast.....

Quote from: FatboyJoe01 on November 19, 2008, 09:17:29 PM
I wanted to get rid of the chain and tensioners anyway so, at the urging of one of my "dogs", I decided to change the cams a little from the TW-8-590 lift, 246 duration on exh. & int., with a 105 LSA to a TW-6HG w/590 lift, 240 duration on exh. & int., with a 101 LSA. Yeah, I know the benefits of the gear drive, but does anybody know how that change is going to effect my performance? Right now I'm at 110TQ and 103HP. The torque stays above 100 from 3200RPM to 5200RPM. Then the horsepower hit 100 at 5200RPM and climbs to 103 at about 5800. I also have a +4 degree grear. I'm hoping for more torque early on, hopefully at least 100TQ at 2400RPM. I'd really love to be able to pull the front wheel 8" off the ground thru 2nd gear easily and still be able to smoke the jap cruisers at 100MPH like they're standing still. Not that I ride like a maniac, I just like quickness and some top end at times. I appreciate your advice and opinions and any tech tips.
                                        JOE
Joe, I want it down low but I still want it up high. and I'd really love to be able to pull the front wheel 8" off the ground thru 2nd gear easily and still be able to smoke the jap cruisers at 100MPH like they're standing still I think there may be something like a superman set up but we need a full list of the build because something is wrong with a 103hp with a 4 degree gear.
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

FatboyJoe01

You know what-you guys are right. I always said my build should be producing better performance. I've had that sucker to alot of good tuners who seemed to not be able to tune it quite right. Anyway. It has HTCC std., non CNC, heads ported and flowed by my local performance shop, high compression pistons w/Total Seal rings, CCP is 215. I run a RB Racing LSR 2 into1 pipe and a big enough air cleaner. It runs like a beast and a sht load of fun to ride, but I always felt it should run better than it does. I think all buddys think I'm crazy. But if you all have any advice, I'd like to hear it. I'm definity putting the TW-6HG in because I bought it already and want to get rid of that chain and adjusters. I also have a +4 degree gear in now. Plus I got a bunch of other little stuff like roller rockers and ceramic coated heads and pistons with poly lube. My motor never goes past 200 degrees on the oil stick.
                                             JOE

FatboyJoe01

November 22, 2008, 01:11:07 AM #5 Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:54:19 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Oh yeah, it's fuel injected. I also sent my injectors to RC Engineering for cleaning and calibrating front and rear. I tried covering all bases. That's why I'm like stumped..

Don D

What about the tune? What tuning device? Was it dyno tuned by a known good tuner?

Hillside Motorcycle

Go to a TW-408, and set it up correctly.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

FatboyJoe01

It has a PC IIIr. It's been on countless dynos. Gary from Extreme EFI(formerly HP, Inc) and Sean from Custom Plus Cycles tuned it the best they could and got the best power. I have no idea what could be holding this thing back. I guess I'll see what what happens when I change the cams and dyno-tune it. If they drop the toqure down 500 RPM, that will be great with maybe even a little more than it got now. Does anybody have any recommendations on a tuner in southwestern PA?

Showdog75

What year and model of bike are we talking about ? I was curious if it's a mag marelli bike.

ederdelyi

IIRC, Joe has a Fatboy (Softail) and the Softails never had MM injection, always been Delphi. Here is a copy of my response to his question from another thread:

>>IIRC, Joe posted his flow sheets on the old HTT before the build was done. At that time several posters (including me) commented on the "unusual" intake to exhaust ratios that his heads had. That said, I would bet that a cam that has less lift and/or duration on the exhaust side would wake that motor up ... BIG TIME.

This may be a real good fit for a cam like the WT26. Of course, as with all HTCC, getting the quench right is important. The std HTCC heads have a big intake (2.00) and a small exhaust valve (1.57 IIRC) and the porter apparently felt that he needed to "fix" things up ... IMO he fu*ked up :>) JMHO, BWTFDIK :>) <<

Showdog75

My dumb , I should have figured that one out[hence the name FatboyJoe] . Ed I'll try to lay off the keyboard til I have atleast one cup of coffee in me . :bf:

ederdelyi

No worries. Hell, you were doing better than me, I can't even *find* the  damn keyboard until I have 2 cups of coffee *and* my glasses!

skyhook

I'm with ederdelyi on this one...if the heads have been boogered, a dual pattern cam may be the fix...also if you have 215# compression with 8 cams, you do not want to +4 or change to the 6h...you will likely have ping and starting problems...at this point, having the heads corrected is also a good option if you really want top shelf performance...compression above 215 is doable but rideability suffers, special care and feeding is required, and a large oil cooler is mandatory...I live in the urban, low elevation deep south and like to keep compression manageable...where do you live and will you ride the coast in the heat?
always seem to get their azz wet?