April 28, 2024, 11:12:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

VERY short pipes????

Started by randallwhitman, November 20, 2008, 07:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randallwhitman

Has anyone ever tried using REALLY short (under 24") drag pipes with a baffle? Did it work out ok? Good low end? Thanks in advance, Randy    ???
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

oldhippie765

i had 1 3/4 short straight thru ran real good, put 2" porker pipes real short ran real bad. put the 1 3/4 back on. if i would have put baffles in the 2" it probably  wood have helped. :teeth:rex

randallwhitman

November 20, 2008, 01:10:47 PM #2 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:41:58 PM by randallwhitman
Rex......so your 1 3/4 pipes had NO baffle and still ran ok?  Did you have any low end grunt for the street?
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

stroker800

It seems common to see 2 different lengths of pipes on evos,,,I had ran 1 long and 1 short on my 74" shovel few years back,,had cut staggered to be same length like an evo pipe,,I had run baffles for while,, sounded like crap . I had pulled out the baffle and never really noticed any difference,,,,but compared to 42" pipe with mufflers(3/8 hole drilled out) there was a great difference....It needed some back pressure...Shovels seem to be a lot fussier with pipe length and design...Now my evo has 2" custom pipes with lollipops in the ends,,,they look cool but loosing all low end grunt.
Dave

oldhippie765

Quote from: randallwhitman on November 20, 2008, 01:10:47 PM
Rex......so your 1 3/4 pipes had NO baffle and still ran ok?  Did you have any low end grunt for the street?
yow ran real good, don't remember how long they were but less than the 24" you was wondering about. this was back in the 80's :teeth:rex

randallwhitman

Rex.....I see you made it back ok.   Randy :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

hotham

Usually the longer the pipes the better the low end.  Shorter helps the top end and takes away the bottom end.  When I was drag racing,  I had 2 different extentions I used.  Depended on weather, track conditions and how it was hooking up.

randallwhitman

I know that unbaffled drags suck on the street.  I have some baffles that will be used, but the pipes will still be real short.  See photo 
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Trouble

Talked with someone yesterday that has a 93" shovel with drag pipes and he claims that putting in a set of torque cones brought back low end power. I know going from drags to thunderheader made the power come on at a lower RPM for me, so it seems some back pressure does a shovel good.
                                           :beer:
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever