April 27, 2024, 12:38:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mild Performance up grade suggestions

Started by Twincam-Iron, November 20, 2008, 07:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twincam-Iron

November 20, 2008, 07:43:49 AM Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:11:53 AM by Twincam-Iron
I have 15,000 + miles on my stock injected 01' 88 Deuce, except for a programer, filter and slip on mufflers. I now think its time to dump the cam, chains and tensioners. I want to go with a geared cam replacement or if a converstion cam is better, and what ever else is needed in the cam chest. I have extra factory barrels with almost zero miles on them with stock pistons still in them, never removed. given to me by a friend years ago. I would have them taken to 95. No idea what piston to use and compression upped or not.
I'm talking mild stuff here, no head work, just a mild up grade. Any suggestion you have, cam brand, mild or more, including a little head work,  I wouldn't mine hearing, but mild is in my mind at this time. Thanks

Twincam-Iron

Good info, thanks man. BUT, I thought getting rid of the stock tensioners was an important thing to do. Hearing of some falling apart early and things like that.
I like your suggestions, seem to be on my path.
I would like to hear more suggestions from anyone else.

Don D

November 20, 2008, 09:05:30 AM #2 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:09:05 AM by Deweysheads
The 01 has the aluminum breathers so that is good. All you need to do is cut the pushrods and install the conversion to the new OEM hydra-chain setup. Same as 05 said. I have done several with 26 and 21 andrews. They are close but the 21 gets you a little more down low and might be better for an 88" motor if you are not a hot rod rider. Consider the 21 a stock replacement that improves the torque from idle up. The 26 does the same but in a 95" motor. The conversion cams are 21N and 26N. The parts list can be seen here
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motorcycle/cams/T88_99_Conv_install_Kit.htm
If you don't mind extra labor the heads can be pulled a thinner head gasket installed and the stock pushrods reused. Without pulling the heads just the rocker boxes and tank the stock pushrods the sock pushrods can still be reused. If you cut the rods I suggest the SE tapered adjustable kit. There are others but this will save some running around and are adequate for this job.
Get a shop manual.

Twincam-Iron

More good info, thanks man.. The andews kit I was checking over last week. I have all the manuals, but no experience on the twin cam. The Iron Head engine I dig into when needed.

Hillside Motorcycle

Andrews 26's, good valve job, get that exhaust port corrected, bore/hone your cylinders to 95-98". Tune, and have fun.
Straight forward simple build that you can enjoy for quite some time.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Twincam-Iron

November 20, 2008, 09:42:34 AM #5 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:45:44 AM by Twincam-Iron
Thats what I want to hear, thanks man...What about a compression change when changing to 95 from 88 pistons?

HD/Wrench

the 26 at 9.5 runs very well. 95 inch kit, .030 head gasket should get you very close tot hat compression. CC the heads while you have them off.

Sonny S.

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on November 20, 2008, 09:35:30 AM
Andrews 26's, good valve job, get that exhaust port corrected, bore/hone your cylinders to 95-98". Tune, and have fun.
Straight forward simple build that you can enjoy for quite some time.

:up:

Twincam-Iron

I think I got it. How can go wrong with all this good info.. It will be a while before I get into this engine work, but I'm sure when it comes about I'll be asking last minute questions. Let me refrase that, a while before I have SOMEONE do the work. So extra cash for labor needed.

mayor

well in the interest of being a non conformist  :smiled:  , if you decide to go 95" in your deuce - I think the tw37's would be a better choice. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Twincam-Iron

I'll take that info.  No one has mentioned the tw37. Seems the Andrews 26 is cams of choice here so far.
  I figure since I have the extra barrels might as well go up to date with the 95, which seems to be getting left behind also with larger cubes available these days from HD.

mayor

November 21, 2008, 02:55:30 PM #11 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:01:06 PM by wannabmayor
Quote from: Twincam-Iron on November 20, 2008, 02:07:22 PM
I'll take that info.  No one has mentioned the tw37. Seems the Andrews 26 is cams of choice here so far.
  I figure since I have the extra barrels might as well go up to date with the 95, which seems to be getting left behind also with larger cubes available these days from HD.

no one mentioned the tw37's?   :embarrassed:  I thought I read where someone did?   :teeth:

Quote from: wannabmayor on November 20, 2008, 01:38:02 PM
well in the interest of being a non conformist  :smiled:  , if you decide to go 95" in your deuce - I think the tw37's would be a better choice. 

Twincam-Iron

Quote from: wannabmayor on November 21, 2008, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: Twincam-Iron on November 20, 2008, 02:07:22 PM

no one mentioned the tw37's?   :embarrassed:  I thought I read where someone did?   :teeth:

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the tw37's.

mayor

November 21, 2008, 03:59:25 PM #13 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:01:52 PM by wannabmayor
well, in my opinion the TW37 cam in a light 95" bike is only the greatest thing since sliced bread.   :teeth:  The TW37 is capable of a nice torque curve and can get you close to 100/100 with the right supporting cast.