How much would a 1 point loss in CR really cost in performance

Started by gryphon, November 20, 2008, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I'm posting this in the Shovel and EVO sections rather than General because I kinda feel that some threads get overlooked in general. Okay, in taking a loss of one point in compression ratio from 9.5:1 down to 8.5:1 how much would this actually  effect perceived performance. Not necessarily what will it show on a dyno but, is this something you would really feel or would the effects be negligable. I assume that running a cam with a very early intake closing would help offset it somewhat also as would tuning my exhaust.

pappyfreebird

gryph backwards like i aways r...but  back a few yrs i were runnin low comp 7s n went to 20 over n 8.5s n really dint feel any kick in the pants..jus my opinin ,,was hopin fer a lil hoohaw but really cant say it were there

randallwhitman

Gryph......I recently lost about a point when I changed the heads on my shovel.  Not only can I feel the difference, but the bike sounds different.  Higher compression sounds GOOD.  Ever noticed how crummy a lot of the early Honda cruisers sound?  I'm sure they're low compression slugs.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

76shuvlinoff

I would think you'd see a slight drop in mpg with a little less pop per drop.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

d-dog

I've never dropped a whole point in CR, but have added a point many times and have always noticed a significant difference.  I also think the difference can be magnified by the cam.  If you're running a cam with significant overlap, you'll be losing quite a bit at low rpm.
Dog