April 28, 2024, 06:52:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

looking for pictures of flat head hill climber

Started by HD/Wrench, November 20, 2008, 11:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

I have a customer that has 2 1/2 45 inch flat heads, one is a orginal hill climber the other a bagger conversion. Deal is that I restore the bagger and the hill climber is mine along with any extra parts that are left over. If any one has some pictures of the early flat head hill climbers that would be great to get some ideas for my winter project.  Thanks

Ultrashovel

November 22, 2008, 02:10:15 AM #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:11:53 AM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 20, 2008, 11:44:48 AM
I have a customer that has 2 1/2 45 inch flat heads, one is a orginal hill climber the other a bagger conversion. Deal is that I restore the bagger and the hill climber is mine along with any extra parts that are left over. If any one has some pictures of the early flat head hill climbers that would be great to get some ideas for my winter project.  Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a picture. If it was a factory '45 Hill Climber, assuming it was from the 1940's it would have been based on a flat tracker such as a WR or a WLDR. Those would have had the aluminum heads and very small fuel tanks. Most of them were factory racers with adding lower gearing like a large rear sprocket and a chained rear wheel with usually a plain front wheel with a brake only in the rear wheel.

As far as I know, most of the hll climbers I've seen at hill climbs (yes, I've been to hill climbs.) were custom-built from the HD flat trackers, either WR's or the later KR's, KH's and KHK's. The really early ones would have been singles, like the Harley Pea Shooter, usually those were factory-built and much more specialized.

I don't know if HD was building a specific hill climber model in the later 45 era like the 40's and 50's. It's certainly possible. If it were factory-made it would very likely have been reflected on the motor number. More likely, the owner would get a WR bike and then use the Harley competition catalog and purchse the parts to modify the bike to climb hills. So if you are restoring such a machine, what I'm saying is that you have a lot of leeway since the owners would almost always customize them.

chris haynes

NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Ultrashovel

Nice Pictures. The first picture looks like a Harley 45", probably a WR. The second picture appears to be an Indian, probably a 45.

Speeding Big Twin