May 10, 2024, 09:20:59 PM

News:

Shovel powered FXR

Started by Reddog74usa, September 11, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I'm lookin to buy a Shovel powered FXR anything I should be lookin for? Ie. Defects, known problems etc. Thanks in advance, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

springer-

A shovel FXR (stock) limits you to only 2 years, 1982 and 1983.  They are basically the same with minor exceptions on the models.  In 1982 they only offered a FXR/FXRS versions and in 1983 added a FXRT version.  The 1983 FXRT is the first year "T" and the last year shovel.

The things to look for kind of depend on what model and year you are looking for.  The closer to stock and unmolested as possible, the better.

Did you have a specific model in mind?

Reddog74usa

The FXRS is the one I'm looking for.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

brubinfxr

I have an 82 FXR and I love it.  BUT, the 82 - 83 FXR's were kind of a bastard year and it is harder to find aftermarket parts for it.  Just a heads up.  As for anything particular to look for, same as any other old bike I guess, nothing that I can think of specific to these couple of years.

good luck
burbin
brubin
82FXR

IBARider

Early 82 had lifter block oil return to left side of jugs.  That was an interesting feature they tried in late 81 and was out of production by late '82.  This one has been stroked to 4-3/4 so it doesn't have original jugs anymore.  Those lifter blocks were plumbed to primary return when I got it.  I then plugged the blocks and drilled an oil return through the block so oil would drain to cam chest... just like regular blocks... Man, this guy had some real interesting issues when I got it... like holes drilled in bottom of lifter to drain them onto rollers.  Lifter had been converted to solids, but oil passages were kept intact so it was just dumping a lot of oil into cam chest.  it lost so much oil, it spun the rocker bushings... and everybody kept telling me there were no oil issues... all shovel have no oil pressure... yeah right, but I'm talkin 3000 rpm's here... It's fixed now....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Reddog74usa

Yep I remember that funky set up with the hoses on the lifter blocks. That is one design I do not want any part of. Nice Red FXR  :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

baldoldfxr

Have you considered getting an evo rolling chassis & building/fitting an shovel engine, you could incorporate some of the mods now available for shovel motors like the S&S lifter conversions etc etc, apart from the shock mounts(early evos have the more upright shocks same as shovels)the frames the same & the later evo gear boxes primarys etc are better & easier to get spares for,

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

tmwmoose

Heres what what I noticed durring those year models, shifter shaft in pri housing and cover imposible to stop leaking same with pri mainshaft bearing it did not use a seal. and the exhaust shook loose constantly

otis

I've had an 82 FXRS for 25 years.  Here''s my take....

No real consistent issues with the Shovels FXR's.  Find a well taken care of bike and you'll be fine. 

It's a Shovel.  Plan on mainenance.  If you add power anyway.....
Only made 2 years.  You will not find alot of aftermarket parts.  Exhaust in particular.  Can modify later FXR model parts to fit though.

The Shovel sound can be considered music...
By far, the best bike I've ever owned.  Has a true soal.
I've built the motor and suspension....handles better than any other HD I've ever ridden.  My buds can never catch me in the twisties...

Have fun....
Pat

Reddog74usa

Thanks Pat. I agree that there nothing else that sounds like a Shovel  :agree:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

bobs82fxr

I agree, nothing like the shovel. Have 145K and been thru several times. Still stock. All the new type gaskets and seals really helped the leaks. Being rubber mounted makes the ride much better. Finding new pipes is the bigest problem I have had. Very limited choices.

Old Crow

Bob, I know what you mean about the exhaust.  I've got a Shovel FLT, which is kinda the FXR's big brother.  3 pipe choices.  straight drags, old style 2 into one(not a Thunderheader style), or true duals. 
I'd love to run the true duals on the bagger, but almost $350 for the head pipes and another $250-$300 for a set of mufflers(plus I'd have to change the lower bar of the bag guards to take the later style moounts. 
So, drags with baffles it is.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

otis

Exhaust is a pain.  I've resorted to buying drag pipes, cutting them off and using good slip-ons (from any FXR year).  The choices are now endless.

A buddy of mine took a FXR EVO Thunderheader and had Shovel flanges welded on...this worked well too.

Pat

bobs82fxr

Otis, this is good to know. Never thought of that. Think I will look into this over the winter.

Old Crow

Damn, and I thought I was done spendin' money on her.  Thanks a lot, Pat.  :beer:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

hotham

My 82 FXR is for sale.  I am the original owner and it is a past show winner.  93", 6 speed.  May be more money then you want to spend, 10 K.  sshotham@msn.com