April 28, 2024, 01:20:12 AM

News:

Mahle pistons

Started by hawgout, November 20, 2008, 03:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgout

Has anyone used these pistons in their build.  I see that they make them for the 117 builds.  Are their tolerances tighter?  Is their material superior to others?  Do you have to use their rings or can you use Childs & Alberts?  Thanks...

Don D

who sells these?
Used them in Mercedes and Porsche, very high quality.

hawgout

I saw them on EBAY.  Then checked their website, guess they make them for EVO's as well as Twin Cam.

bigblock6912

as far as i know, ultima uses them in all their engines

Hillside Motorcycle

Yes,
Ultima's use them as well.
Believe a lot of Nascar engine builders use them these days.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jsachs1

IMO,Mahle pistons seem to be a super quality piston,and the coating stays on.
The CVO 110" engines use them,as well as the larger Ultima engines.Most of the air cooled Jap bikes used them as their standard production piston.
In reference to rings,I would use their rings that come with the pistons,and would buy replacement rings from them,when the time comes for a rebuild.They have their own method on piston size,(Clearence built in the piston).
They also have an excellant tech department.
John

hawgout

John, can you explain more about piston fit/sizing on this piston.  Do they like a tight (.0015/.002) or loose fit (.0025 and up)

jsachs1

Hawg,
Mahle pistons have the Clearance made in the piston,ie. 110" CVO,Bore & finish cylinder to 4.000"
127" Ultima,bore & finish to 4.250".
Clearance is factored in.
Matter of fact,we've tried extremely tight clearance(.0005")on some Ultima motors,with no problems.
John

Don D

I know Mahle in the old days when I used them were a special cast alloy, same deal bore to size clearance (Kolbenschmidt same), a predecessor to Hyper alloys but similar. Are these pistons forged or cast?

Velocity1

Can anybody provide a "simple" link to the Mahle site for HD pistons?

Thanks, V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

bigblock6912

my 84 fxrs came stock with mahle pistons.

bigblock6912

john: out of curiosity do you know when ultima switched from ross to mahle in the 113's?