April 27, 2024, 02:44:44 PM

News:

lockhart oil coolers

Started by amf 71flh, September 12, 2009, 07:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amf 71flh

Found a nice lockhart oil cooler on e-bay, does any out there run one? I've heard said the oil pump is not strong enough to push oil through 4 feet of hose plus a cooler.................

eglideic

saltcaveminer

lots of sportys came with lockhart oil coolers from the factory.the oil pump will handle it .more problems with the wrong oil filter being used than with the oil cooler.Salty

buckiryder

Have had one with a thermostat and a filter on my '72 CH for 30+ years. Also still have the original crank bearings in it.

xxxflhrci

September 21, 2009, 10:41:21 PM #4 Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:45:51 PM by xxxflhrci
My Ironhead came new from the dealer/factory with a Harley Davidson branded Lockhart 500 on it.  I even have had HD cover that velcros over the cover.  Which, BTW,  I run covered nearly 100% of the time.  My Ironhead doesn't run hot.  I don't think it really needs a cooler.

amf 71flh

nice ride. 77 was the first year of the new oil pump and the first year of the factory oil cooler, I think that may have something to do with it. Thanks for all the imput, put I think I'll keep the 74 stock. I live up north anyhow...................................

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

xxxflhrci

I'm not certain all '77 models came with an oil cooler...I have the original owner's manual for my bike.  There is no oil cooler pictured.  In addition,  I have a Jan. 1977 issue of Cycle World with a road test article and a centerfold ad for the 1977 Sportster.  None of the pics in the mag show a bike with an oil cooler.

amf 71flh

I think this was a dealer added item, it did not come stock from the factory with one.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]