April 30, 2024, 04:11:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

shifting problem

Started by 48pan, September 12, 2009, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

my tranny doesn't shift into 2nd grear very well. Sometimes it does and sometimes you have to hold the shifter up as you relese the clutch and then it will clunk into 2nd.
What are some things to look for. The linkage adustments are OK It's a '76 FXE
I suspected a bent fork or somethig like that, but looking at them without taking them out they look straight. I don't have an allignmet tool so I don't want to make any more trouble than needed. I have the tranny out on the bench with the rachet lid off.
Thanks

Tobias

Did it just start doing this, or has it been this way for a while?

What do the dogs look like?

48pan

September 13, 2009, 07:43:49 AM #2 Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:46:44 AM by 48pan
It's a new bike with no history. Because of a near fatel accident, I can't start my pan. I wanted something with electric start.
What do you mean "Shifting dogs"

Tobias

dogs are the pieces that the shifter forks fit over.
They slide on the shaft when you shift and engage the gear.

If the teeth on the dogs get worn out it will either not go into gear, or pop out of gear.

Take a look in your manual and look at what happens when it shifts into 2nd gear, then inspect all of the pieces that could prevent that from happening.

48pan

update on the trans. Everything looks fine, the only problem seems to be the throw out berring. I updated to a old style throw out berring. I didn't know it was a chineese peace of sh*t. Could it be that simple? It'll be about a week before I can get the tranny back in. I'll keep you posted.

vern

check the ratchet, they get sticky from rust and road grit

ricochet

I was going to mention the throughout bearing but you beat me to it.  It can give the sometimes random symptoms you describe like the clutch is not thoroughly disengaging.  Also check out the shift detent for function, weak or broken spring or just needing adjustment.

ricochet