May 01, 2024, 10:34:25 PM

News:

72 sportster find

Started by lotown, September 15, 2009, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lotown

Hey looking for any input.
Im new to the old ironheads and would like to build a bike and feel like this might be a good option for me.

Found a basket for $900 bux

here is my post on club chopper.

Think its a good deal?
I have around 30 pics on page 3 of the parts in the kit.

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78954

olpigiron

Hey lotown,

If U Do Purchase This Basket Case as U Put It,
   Welcome To The World Of WTF? LOL, It Can Be A Challenge.
With That Said, The First Thing U Need To Do First Is Purchase A
               Parts Manual, and A Service Manual.
                       This Will Indeed Help.

Cheers!

OPI
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Coff 06

06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

lotown

saltcaveminer

missing parts like the oil pump, tranny gears, cams, etc. can get pricey to replace.check over the cases and look for cracks or old repairs.after that if all looks good-go for it!!i must advise you that every build has its surprises good and bad.the day you fire up the beast will make up for the bad.Salty

Maddog

RE  Kicker on a 72??  Its a XLCH  sure it has a kicker how do you think it starts??     :wtf: 

Maddog

72s were weak in the right side case where the speedo drive was ,,, alot of them broke or cracked the right side case

lotown

Right side meaning the cam side?
I took some pictures of that side and didnt see any cracks but i had no idea where i was looking
I hear the trap door is a bad area but idk where that is

Sonny S.

back by the bottom of the tranny. I bought a 72 XLH basket case in 1987 that hade the cases blown out. Mine wasn't hard to see, you could put your fist through the hole. Had to have a repair section welded in and I ran the speedo off the rear wheel. Drum brake front.

Congrats on your bike  :up:

kickstart

Quote from: lotown on September 16, 2009, 08:48:58 PM
Right side meaning the cam side?
I took some pictures of that side and didnt see any cracks but i had no idea where i was looking
I hear the trap door is a bad area but idk where that is

not to rain on yer wheaties butt....... First bike ?
If your not familiar with bikes, HD's and Sportsters, you may be biting off more than you can handle.
Education cost money. And building a bike is an education.
None of my business but if money is tight, don't think your going to save money by buying a cheap basket.
There is no way to tell how much or how long this is gonna take.
You may get lucky and toss $1000 at it and be riding, or worst case, it may cost $5k, and may take a couple of years if life gets in the way, or you may have it ready by springtime.
Just  a few things to consider.
You could put $900 down and a few hundred a month (same as what building will cost ya) and be riding a $5k sportster or $6k evo softail tommorow.

Good luck whatever you decide
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

lotown

I'm not new to bikes or riding, just its my first old Harley or Harley that Ive owned.

Great info for sure kick start.
I'm just so undecided about this whole thing, I feel for 900 im getting a good start on things for cheap.
One Min I want it and its a good deal, One min im like no I have no room or a proper shop to build what I want out of it.

Ive been looking around and If i wait long enough I can prob find a running Ironhead sportster for around 1500-2000k im thinking.
Then Ill have EVERY part I need, ill know the engine works, and then I can go from there on what I want to do to it.

So many unknowns for me and not such a good time for me to be getting this.

I currently have a water cooled vw that I just built a motor for and will be doing that swap over the winter.

If I get this it will sit until that is done, and then who knows when I have enough  money to finish it so it could be a while. :(

Sonny S.

>>>So many unknowns for me and not such a good time for me to be getting this. <<<

If it don't feel right don't do it.

It doesn't take a fancy shop to build a bike.  My $500 72 XLH basket case that I built in the living room of a 12x50 trailer ended up taking 2nd place in the Washington, DC  World of Wheels Show. Was a 3 year project but  WTF,  ya work with what ya got.

I did have to by the OL new carpet when I was done  :emsad:

lotown

haha nice!

Im not worried about building it, thats the fun part. I just dont want to half ass it.

eglideic

Why don't you post the pictures here of what you're lookin at.
i tried visiting that Choppers web site and couldn't make heads or tails of anything there.

amf 71flh

carefull on boring those early(1973 and earlier) jugs. I think you can only go .030 over. Check the head bolts, if they are 6 point instead of 12 point, you have the weak cylinders. Other than that, go for it. Nothing like riding a good running Ironhead, I like mine more than my 2000 Roadking!!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Skelly

This is the place for expertice for sure...any history on bike?...title?...anything with HD on it is expensive...money and time...time and money...lol...worked my 78 in an ol converted corn crib...also have a 05 FXDLI and am always grinnin ear to ear when riding my ironhead...possibilities are endless... :smiled: