May 09, 2024, 03:55:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question: Right hand goes to sleep while riding

Started by RoadGlide0611, September 18, 2009, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takwolf

Mine will get numb hiway riding. I put a throttle-locker on it, and it lets me relax my grip some. No more numb hands.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

truck

It's the tightness of your grip on the throttle grip in most cases. The left hand doesn't go to sleep because your grip is lighter.
At least that's what I found.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

mscoolone

I have got the same problem.
When riding long distances or Riding hard hands go numb.
Especially on the dirt bikes where your hanging it out there.
I call it the "DEATH GRIP".
Best solution I found is crampbusters. http://www.crampbuster.com/
Dint have them on the dirt bikes but have them on both grips on the Harley.
Keep hands in a more relaxed position, also I am not able to get that "DEATH GRIP".

apes

On my EG I have the Harley grips that are simply a series of parallel rubber inserts that are parallel to the linear axis and go all the way round, those combined with the angle of the bars puts my right hand to sleep and I have to give it a shake every now and then, on my Heritage I have the ISO grips with the Throttle Boss and I do not have the same issue, both bikes have stock bars

madjack

I too used to use t5he cramp buster myself. Then I watched I rider pulling into a parking lot, crash into 2 cars. This guy has been riding for 30+ yrs. I helped him pick up the bike an pieces, asked what went wrong. Said when he hit the slight rise in the black top, his hand hit the crampbuster, this burped the throttle just enough to momentarly lose control.  It wasn't two weeks later I bumped mine,making a turn. got me thinking this could be problimatic with this device, so I've not used it since. Gene

Evo160K

What Scooter said.  I also found my numbness went away after straightening the angle of my wrist.

The motojournalist, Joe Minton, suggests a way to determine your correct bar position.  It works for me.  Briefly, he says move your bars down out of the way. Have someone support your bike so you can sit on it with your feet on your pegs/boards.  With your eyes closed and hands open straight, put your hands forward to a comfortable position.  The grips should be adjusted to be just slightly below your fingers.  It's important that when you pull your levers, you're pulling fully and evenly against the base of your palm, not against the "V" of you thumb/forefinger or unevenly/partially against your palm. 

Evo160K

Correction:

The "bars" should be adjusted so with your palms on the grips "the levers" are just slightly below your fingers.

EagleFTE

Based on your picture I guess you are riding a Road Glide.  I do not have this problem on touring models but with the Softtail and balanced engine I have this problem on long interstate rides.  The B engine seems to have a high freq. vibration at 75 to 80 mph and while riding on long trips I had complete figner tip numbness to where I can't feel any switches etc.  Was not a problem on the rubber mounted engines.  I also use the ISO Grips and throttle boss so I have learned to do some finger exercises every hour or so while riding to keep the numbness away.  No longer a problem as I just instrictively do some finger flexes with my palm on the throttle boss every once and a while.

AZ04RoadKing

My left hand goes numb, but it even happens when I'm at this damn keyboard, unfortunatly it is bad disks in my neck, will be getting epideral injections next Friday.
You should be concerned if it continues.
Steve

02rk59

Same problem as AZ04....I'm just trying to put off surgery.

sprocket99

Lots of good advice here. I had the same problem and changed my bars to where my hands fall naturally to the grips. I've heard that your hands should be level with your heart.

texaskatfish

Quote from: texaskatfish on September 18, 2009, 01:09:47 PM
Quote from: madjack on September 18, 2009, 12:35:55 PM
Ours went out the same day as odered, great company to deal with

madjack  :up:   :up:  We already received shipping confirmation and tracking link - badASS service!!

These gloves arrived quickly as advertised. Ab so LUTE quality construction and the fit is perfect!
Looking forward to trying them out soon!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Snussy

Get yourself a throttle rocker.  That should help.

96dynabagger

If its only the right hand and you use a computer at work, suspect Carpal Tunnel problems.
Get it treated on the employers dime.  Worked for the wife (even though she doesn't ride).

Phu Cat

Didn't read all the responses, but the first thing that comes to mind is carpal tunnel.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

starrider

September 25, 2009, 01:40:16 PM #40 Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:44:46 PM by Starrider
Lots of good advice here. I had the same problem and changed my bars to where my hands fall naturally to the grips. I've heard that your hands should be level with your heart.
Quote from: sprocket99 link=topic=16656.msg168698#msg168698

I agree with the hands should be level with the heart...