May 08, 2024, 09:29:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question: Right hand goes to sleep while riding

Started by RoadGlide0611, September 18, 2009, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlide0611

Don't know what it is, my right hand goes to sleep after about 20 minutes of riding.  I shake my right hand or move it around, and I can feel my hand again.  Do you think it's the bars I have on this bike or what?
2009 Road Glide, 107 with S&S 551 cams, Dresser Duals, Rev Performance EMS

Dennis The Menace

Could be many things.  Too tight of hold/grip on the bar, bad angle of wrist/hand to bars, carpal tunnel (yes, I have read that can be a cause), a circulation problem in the arm (read that too), or too close in.  In general, grip of the hand on the bar should be shoulder width, or slightly farther out.  If too narrow of placement of hands on bars inside of line of should, this will cause poor blood flow.

Learned much of this years ago when I raced bikes.  Its for real...I had same troubles.

HTH some

menace

les

This could cost a little bit on money but with something as serious as this, my suggestion is to rent another Harley for one day.  Something that has a different set of bars to see if your hand goes bad on that bike.  If it does not then this could be a very cost effective way to find a fix, if it is in fact the bars.

Kansas

My new for me Street Bob has the mini apes and I have the same issue since I got it, although as the season has gone on the numbness isn't nearly as bad as it was.  Maybe my 61 year old heart can't pump blood up hill  like it used to and I have more of an opportunity to let the left hand off the grips.  It's a problem I am really aware of, and a lower bar is certainly an open option at this point. I never had a problem on my previous Low Rider with beach bars.  I seem to be able to use the front brake OK even though the hand is tingling numb.  Typically a 20 second shake out brings it back to normal.

madjack

Try, www.qwinerveprotection.com , great, great gloves, really work for my wife & me. We both have had the same problems.

RoadGlide0611

Funny, I've never had a issue like this before.  These aren't stock bar though.  I put on Wild one's the mini apes.  I can keep my hand on the grip if going down the road and just move it around, and it seems to do the trick.  But it must be how my hand is on the bars there.  Don't know.  I'd worry about it if it were my left hand.

RoadGlide0611

Wow, thanks alot.  I've never heard of these gloves.  I'll order a pair.

NormL

I've started to have right hand pain while riding even a short distance or when using tools (shovels, rakes, etc.)  It really sucks, I'm afraid it's arthritis as I'm loaded with it already.  Good luck, Bub.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

specialx1

you should worry about it even if it is just right hand , may be as simple as bars but if it is carpal tunnel it aint gonna get any better and will get to the point ya cant ride it,JMHO
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

76shuvlinoff

I have mini apes on the shovel that are just under shoulder high with the right seat. Never had a problem until this year when the wife started riding with me again . I think the extra weight and responsibility had me grippin to tight. It was/is only the right hand though. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Coff 06

I have to keep my hands the same height as my shoulders or else my hands will go to sleep,already had carpal tunnel surgery on the right.It doesn't matter if I reach up or down,my hands will go numb.I use 8" risers and drag bars on my FXST and that seams to work for me.  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

texaskatfish

Quote from: madjack on September 18, 2009, 11:57:24 AM
Try, www.qwinerveprotection.com , great, great gloves, really work for my wife & me. We both have had the same problems.

madjack those sound GREAT - ! just ordered a pair of the fingerless / perforated top leather ones. Did you find they ship em fairly quickly?
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

madjack

Ours went out the same day as odered, great company to deal with

winger

If you will notice next time that it occurs, that if it involves primarily the first three fingers, then it is probably carpal tunnel syndrome.  Do a google search and you will find some exercises to do that might help putting off surgery.

92 FXSTS

Quote from: madjack on September 18, 2009, 11:57:24 AM

I couldn't get your link to open, but I'm sure the site I use is the same company.
http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/index.html

I bought a pair of gloves at their booth at the HOG Rally in St. Charles, MO, lost my last pair in Sturgis. These are great people to deal with and the gloves work great. I have looked at other gel gloves before, but these seem to be designed different and really work.

texaskatfish

Quote from: madjack on September 18, 2009, 12:35:55 PM
Ours went out the same day as odered, great company to deal with

madjack  :up:   :up:  We already received shipping confirmation and tracking link - badASS service!!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Sonny S.

heck my hand falls a sleep all the time, doesn't matter if it's up or down,...has for years....you'll get used to it.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Hawg Holler

You may have a medical condition. Sounds like carpel tunnel.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

05FLHTC

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on September 18, 2009, 01:17:28 PM
I use Iso Grips with a throttle boss.  My hand stays relaxed while riding.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/31

+1 on the iso grips. Had both of mine doing on my EVO, the iso grips just about all but cured it.

I will also be looking into the gloves, my hands seem more prone to going numb when I wear heavy gloves in the cold...
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

92flhtcu

Thanks for the glove link, mine like to tingle only the first 20/30 mins of riding and only below 75f, wierd huh?
Both hands/wrists have arthritis and minor CT, got shots two years ago and better but am getting a pair of these gloves!
Rob
Need a bigger garage

JBarrettB

I had that problem for a while some time ago, turns out it was my gloves. They had a seam that ran across the base of my fingers that restricted blood flow when I held the grip. Sometimes it is the simple things...

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

MaxxV4

My hand will do it if I put the velcro strap too tight. (fingerless) I thought the glove fit nice and snug, but since it was hot out, my hand probably swelled just enough to cut the circulation. If it's not too cold, try riding without the glove and see if there is a difference.
Mike

RoadGlide0611

Mike, mine went to sleep glove or no glove.  But funny some rides on occasion it wasn't much of an issue.

Sc00ter

I used to have this problem.  I was reaching to far for the bars and my wrist angle was bad.  I installed a set of 575 bars (2" up, 2" closer, and wider...)  Wrist is now straighter and I don't reach so far.  Hand has not gone to sleep since and I experience much less fatigue on long rides....   :up: