May 02, 2024, 05:46:04 PM

News:

sns 124 evo

Started by nutsforshovels, November 21, 2008, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuts4shovels

do all these motors need comp releases.  will not start--turn over--runs great. new bat-new starter -new cables. If you can get it to turn' starts well.  are comp releases the answer/

Nuts

massheadcase1

S&S 124's come stock w/ 10.8 to 1 and come w/ compression releases..Not sure of your combo but you could do a compression test to see for sure...Anything in the neighborhood of 200 psi, your gonna need em'.....Headcase

nuts4shovels

this problem is not mine, that is not my bike.  trying to help a buddy.  He built this hot rod several yrs ago

has always had trouble starting it, unless hot. I was just checking to see that no stone was left unturned.

It wouldn't be the first time I went the long way to fix something.

Nuts

FATZ

I just put a 124 S&S motor in my 1995 Fat Boy. It has electronic compresson releases. I put a bigger battery and starter on the bike , and I rewired the ignition so that on the lights stay off untill I have the engine started, then I switch the ignition switch to the second click and put the lights on. I don't want anything drawing the system down prior to firing this beast up. Short answer, yes your friend should have releases................. FATZ

fuzznut5197

Quote from: FATZ on November 21, 2008, 11:44:19 PM
I just put a 124 S&S motor in my 1995 Fat Boy. It has electronic compresson releases. I put a bigger battery and starter on the bike , and I rewired the ignition so that on the lights stay off untill I have the engine started, then I switch the ignition switch to the second click and put the lights on. I don't want anything drawing the system down prior to firing this beast up. Short answer, yes your friend should have releases................. FATZ

My 124 crate starts right up with the stock 10 year old starter. The ccc is 182psi with the electric releases unplugged, and 145psi with them on. I have been lucky so far, for 3 years the releases have worked flawlessly, and should one ever fail I'll be on the side of the road wishing I had done what FATZ did.  :teeth:

jsachs1

Fuzz,
One more thing,if you ever have to replace a rear compression release in a 124" motor/stock Softail frame,you're pulling the motor,or at least moving it FAR to the right.  :angry:
John

fuzznut5197

Quote from: jsachs1 on November 22, 2008, 05:19:42 PM
Fuzz,
One more thing,if you ever have to replace a rear compression release in a 124" motor/stock Softail frame,you're pulling the motor,or at least moving it FAR to the right.  :angry:
John

Ugh, sounds as much fun as replacing a clutch on a goldwing. :smileo:

Glad I own a Dyna!!!