April 27, 2024, 06:36:51 AM

News:

End the mess of a filter change

Started by Panzer, November 21, 2008, 08:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

This was noted on the old HTT site and just wanted to pass it on.
Ending the mess of a filter change

Cut the bottom out of a clear 2 liter soda bottle and up the sides to about 2 inches from the neck.
Cut the bottle to form fit around the filter base.
Leave the sides high enough so oil is captured, but not so high as to interfer with the filter removal that is in the other hand.
The bottle will look like a canoe with one end cut off.
With the cap off, you can drain it into a catch pan.
With the cap on, you can carry the 2 liter bottle with oil to a catch pan and dump it.

Just passing it on for a helpful hint that works.
Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Wildrat

November 21, 2008, 06:07:06 PM #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:15:27 AM by Wildrat
Very Good idea, I will try it because I always spill a little there. I might do it a little different because I use the wrench that is like a big socket with a 3/8's drive on it and a 12-14 inch extension. I'll just put the extension thru the cap hole maybe even with a gasket made of leather or rubber so it fits around the extension snugly.

When I first started working on my bikes before I had a lift/jack I spilt a little oil and as you know a little oil goes a long way. I thought about it for a few seconds then told my wife to go get that old cat pan we had before the cat died under suspicious circumstances. I marked the pan about 2-2 1/2 inches down from the top on two sides(Narrow side and Long side). I then cut that section out and now with the bike on it's kick stand you can slide it in from the right side or right side front and it will slide in nice, and the low side of the bike won't be in the way.

Oh for any cat lovers out there I did not kill the cat! My wife did! Not really, she gave it to my mom before I could get my hands on it. It would have deserved though.
Wildrat

Panzer

Thanks "Wild", for the feed back.
I use the wife's three quart pot to drain my oil.   :embarrassed:
I clean it well (I mean well) and return it to the cupboard.
If she ever finds out what I use when she's gone........I'm toast.
Thanks for your input.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Willie D

Quote from: Panzer on November 22, 2008, 07:09:47 AM
Thanks "Wild", for the feed back.
I use the wife's three quart pot to drain my oil.   :embarrassed:
I clean it well (I mean well) and return it to the cupboard.
If she ever finds out what I use when she's gone........I'm toast.
Thanks for your input.

Panzer

I use a paint pan, and it works great. the 2L bottle thing sounds worthy of a trail. I have been using a small
piece of cardboard about 7" long and it runs out into the pan very nicely. then discard.
Thanks for the tips.
WD
'All gave some, Some gave All"

SEMJPM

I have just been punching a hole in the filter and letting it drain out to an empty soup can. The empty filter comes off with almost no spillage or mess.

FSG

02xl1200c

Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

FSG

JBarrettB

If you 'wet' the new filter before spinning it on you are going to have some fresh oil spillage. I don't care if oil runs down and drips into the pan when I pull the old filter off. Once the new filter is in place I use some brake parts cleaner to blow the oil losses old and new off of the case, motor mount, even the regulator on some models. Simple ,clean, done. 
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

Panzer

November 22, 2008, 06:51:20 PM #9 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:40:09 AM by Panzer
Sir Garfield,
I saw your pixs on I think "Home made tools".
On the 07, I don't have the clearance that you show using the cardboard box.
The regulator is mounted in the front, between the frame tubes.
The bottle you show won't work either because it has to fit under the filter mounting surface and the engine.
The thickness of the plastic is just enough to slip under the filter mount by about 1/4 inch.
This is all done with the bike on the jackstand, leaning left.
That way it drains down hill into the cut bottle and into the catch pan.
The filter has to be loosened enough to turn it off by hand but not loose enough to leak.

O2XL..........
I'll try to post a pix of the bottle I made.
I tried before, but since it's clear plastic, it's hard to see the cutout of the bottle.
I'll try (soon) with the bottle under the filter as if ready to drain.
Stay tuned.

J
If you only fill the new filter 1/2 way (wet as you call it) and with the bike leaning on the left side as mentioned above, you shouldn't get any spillage from the filter.
Besides, letting oil run onto the rubber mounts 06-07, .........well let's just say that rubber and oil don't mix.

Panzer

02xl1200c

Thanks Panzer.  No pressure.  I'm just waiting for you so I can change my oil.  :wink:  Spray paint it if it's hard to see.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

Panzer

November 23, 2008, 08:00:15 PM #11 Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:46:12 PM by Panzer
The first pix is the cut-away bottle with a filter.

#2 is a closeup of the bottle under the filter ready to drain.

1)

http://www.imageurlhost.com/viewer.php?file=s3h1hzlaif7xihv5kfv_Another-view.jpg
2)
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/2o5w9h79ku7lmjaga0e4_bottle-under-filter.jpg

Hope this helps to explain how you can drain the filter with no mess.

Bigs

I use the bottle but I put a couple of paper shop towels under where the filter screws in. It works great on my Sportster and on my Road Glide as well on the neighbors Road King and I don't get any oil drips on the bike. My neighbor was amazed when we changed his oil the other day and didn't get oil all over the place.
   bigs

Panzer

Way to go Biggs.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm always looking for an easier way to do things.
                  "There's always a better mouse trap"