May 01, 2024, 04:25:44 PM

News:

LIFTERS

Started by ultra05, November 21, 2008, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultra05

I have a 05 ultra that i am going to install new cams in. I have 43,000 miles on bike.
I have read in here about a series b lifter for replacement. Could some one please tell me what lifters I should buy for a 05 ultra. also when installing these new lifters is there a
right way of doing this. This is my first round for trying a camshaft replacement but I
feel fairly comfortable in doing this. I now have gear drive so it should be a direct
replacement, but I know my lifters are original. thank you

ICANTD55

November 21, 2008, 10:45:01 AM #1 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:20:25 AM by ICANTD55
Pretty sure you will get the B lifters now Just look for the letter at the end of the part number when you pick them up should be a B. Last few sets I have installed I have taken apart and cleaned them before install. Seem that they come through with grit and machining oil in them .I never use to take them apart to clean them but someone here had said that they have machineing oil in them I am pretty sure it was Pub1 Don   AKA Deweys Heads. And sure enough the next set I put in out of the box one tapped I could not compress the plunger ,and yes there was machineing oil in it..

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/RICKROADKING/Picture170.jpg

The link will show you whats inside the lifter. The second piece from the left is a travel limiter and it will not be in your stock lifter . If you do take it apart this is the order it will go back together minus the round donut travel limiter.

There is a lot of differant opinions on the install and you probably will here them all here.
Some guys let the lifters soke over night in a jar filled with the oil you will be useing.
If I don't install a limiter I clean them and then inject the hole on the side of the lifter until I get oil out the top.

Some guys put them in dry. I do this when using travel limiters its easier to set the push rods. But the inital start up always scares the crap out of me.

RICK , MA

Gulfstream

18538-99B is the P/N you're looking for.

NtTrain

Quote from: ICANTD55 on November 21, 2008, 10:45:01 AM
Pretty sure you will get the B lifters now Just look for the letter at the end of the part number when you pick them up should be a B. Last few sets I have installed I have taken apart and cleaned them before install. Seem that they come through with grit and machining oil in them .

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/RICKROADKING/Picture170.jpg

The link will show you whats inside the lifter. The second piece from the left is a rev limiter and it will not be in your stock lifter . If you do take it apart this is the order it will go back together minus the round rev limiter

There is a lot of differant opinions on the install and you probably will here them all here.
Some guys let the lifters soke over night in a jar filled with the oil you will be useing.
If I don't install a limiter I clean them and then inject the hole on the side of the lifter until I get oil out the top.

Some guys put them in dry. I do this when using rev limiters its easier to set the push rods. But the inital start up always scares the crap out of me.

Rev Limiting lifters  :bf: ????????  Do tell.......

smoserx1

The current lifter Harley sells is the "B" lifter, and with your bike being an 05 that is probably what you have in there now.  if you are installing new lifters it really does not matter how you install them (oil hole facing in or out), but if you are reusing your old ones you should install them the same way they came out to maintain wear patterns.  I changed mine about a year ago.  I did not soak them beforehand, just dipped them in oil before placing them in the bores.  When they first started up they clattered really loud, but got quiet in less than a second.  You can soak them overnight if you wish--I'm not sure any oil will actually get inside the lifter by doing this, but it won't hurt.  BTW, I have an old twin cam, a 99, and mine had the original lifters in it made by Johnson which some claim were quieter than the "B" lifters now made by Delphi.  I don't know about that but I can tell you this.  Those old original lifters would bleed down almost every night, resulting in a startup clatter the next morning.  The Delphi lifters almost never bleed down, and if they do it is just a little bit resulting in a very tiny clatter.  There is no way I would go back to the old lifters, which I am told may still be available.

egstandard

I've got over 10 thousand miles on a set of Melling small block chevy lifters that I bought at Auto zone for 6 bucks each. If you take one apart and look at it , it is the exact same as the b lifter from harley. Made in the U.S.A. also. Harley has to get them from somewhere.

hawgout

Has anyone used the new lifters from JIMS?  The one with the oil passage to the roller...I think they are called Powerglide-II

Velocity1

Quote from: baldoldfxr on November 21, 2008, 01:42:03 PM
I used to have rev limiting lifters in my old shovel-IF I tried to rev it they collapsed LOL.
I guess they mean lifter limiters such as the S&S type which limit how much they can compress even if they lose all their oil,

These are the lifters I'm using in my new high compression build to help make hot restarts easier. S&S stands behind them in their motors and I think one of my B lifters is bleeding down now, so might as well replace all 4 when I upgrade.

V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

Don D

Nothing wrong with HD OEM lifters or S&S non limited TC lifters.

Midnight Toker

egstandard, do you have a part number for those? Or is it just any sbc lifter? I have heard this before but never took note of it. I think I have a lifter going out…
Something witty placed here.

egstandard

JB 2079.  Price has doubled to $12.57 each.

ICANTD55

November 22, 2008, 03:31:12 PM #11 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:26:24 AM by ICANTD55
Sometime I dont have much time at work .Yep   :bf:
I should have said travel limiters. But I am sure you got the idea . :wink:
The limiters are S&S and the tappets are harley B.  :wink:    Didnt see the need to spend big bucks for the s&s travel limiter tappets.

I fixed :crook:
RICK , MA

Midnight Toker

Quote from: egstandard on November 22, 2008, 09:44:50 AM
JB 2079.  Price has doubled to $12.57 each.
egstandard, thanks for the info.  :up:
Something witty placed here.

egstandard