May 01, 2024, 06:29:04 PM

News:

Big Sucker vs. Screaming Eagle

Started by V24me, November 21, 2008, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V24me

Does anyone know if the Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner AND backing plate is better than the SE air cleaner/backing plate?  I know the filters are similar, but wonder if the mounitng plate helps direct more/faster air into the carb?
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

road-dawgs1

The AN actually has a better filter than the SE.  It's a K&N clone filter.  The SE filter is a paper filter (washable but not oilable) I also believe the AN is a few bucks cheaper than the SE.  Other than that I think the back plates are just about the same as far as air flow.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

RainDodger

Unless you have the oilable (older) SE filter. I'm no expert on this, but I'd bet either filter flows more air than your engine can use, unless you've really done some engine work. I'm sure someone with dyno experience will chip in with good info though...

jazzman713

I'm getting ready to order the zippers filter i have read its 1 of the best $115-140 the difference in the cost is how you want the back plate to look

V24me

I have the SE now and my local 'stealer' chose to only carries the AN filter lately, so when my oilable filter got damaged I put the AN one on, but the backing plate for the big sucker looks like it would be better than the early SE one I have now.  Wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade.  I do like the zippers too.

noliners

Check out BC Gerolomy s Overflow aircleaner.       Outflows them all.  I run it with a stock cover to look stealth on my 131" build. Woods TW-68 cams. Darkhorse S/S crank. Tman Heads/wiseco--  225 ccp.  HP inc 56 w/ hiflow injectors.  D/D borzilla.   150hp/150TQ....=FUN to ride Road King     
http://www.bcheads.com/
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

GoFast.....

Quote from: V24me on November 21, 2008, 10:18:17 AM
Does anyone know if the Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner AND backing plate is better than the SE air cleaner/backing plate?  I know the filters are similar, but wonder if the mounitng plate helps direct more/faster air into the carb?
IF Flowing more air is better than yes
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

jsachs1

Something else to think about.
The AN backing plates,at times would crack around the area that held it to the heads.The SE backing plate is a similar design.With the new FBW modules(heavy)there will be more stress in the same area.I've been modifying the SE backing plates so I can leave the brace on the module to heads.I haven't seen or used a later AN air cleaner(for FBW),but I was told that they are set up to work with the brace in place.A number of wide elements can be made to work with either.
John

Jeffd

Doherty power pacc is nice and very well made.  It does not flow any better than AN or SE but looks better.

Arrowsmit

QuoteIt does not flow any better than AN or SE

Fact or assumption; what do you base this statement on JeffD?

VicW.

Jeffd

that is what Mike Stegman of Latus motors told me.  He has dynoed everything under the sun. He told that if you need more flow then Zippers is the way to go.  He said there was no diff. on the dyno with Doherty, SE, big sucker.  My personal experience is with a mild build 95 ie 100tq/~90hp and I could not tell any diff. between the Doherty and the SE.  The Doherty does look awsome tho.

taz95dog

jeff i like the doherty also .looks much better and with the power vents ,you can vent to the outside(not back into your engine)...taz... :up:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Arrowsmit

tireater

I run the Ness BS 2 on both bikes...It stopped a stumble on the St Bob...No effect on the bagger...I rerouted the breathers to ground.
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

yellowcvo

i had the an big sucker kit. the thing was junk it pucked out oil from the air cleaner all the time the studs that hold  the air cleaner studs are cheep.
switched to the se set up tons better no more oil out the filter and better get up and go. i would never go back .     

Bakon

I run a Zippers and have used both SE types, dry and oil. The Zippers is best. Old SE second, new SE third.
wasting time

V24me

Thanks for all the replies.  Just the info I was looking for.

mrmike

I put a Ness BS II on my 03 RK two years ago and replaced the Ness filter with a K&N. The K&N is a little deeper but with some longer screws and some spacers it works like a champ and everything else matches up fine. Kinda the best of both worlds.

Mike (first post on the new HTT)
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Beerad

I have the Big Sucker and the crank case breather tubes are machined into the backing plate. much cleaner appearance.

Blackbaggr

I'm running the SE backplate. I used the junky filter that came with it until it was dirty then replaced it with a K&N 0800.
The SE stuff is made well. I know somebody whose AN cracked.