April 27, 2024, 11:32:13 PM

News:

'87 FXLR Big Bore finished...finally

Started by drs23, September 25, 2009, 01:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drs23

Picked this FXR a couple of years ago and was going to keep it bone stock. Couldn't do it. Got a close out deal on Wiseco's big bore kit that takes it to 94.3 cubes.

It's been on the back burner for  a while, finally got it back together. It's REALLY FUN to ride!

Specifics:

Big bore kit w/flat top pistons
W8 cam
HSR 42
DTT Ign @2-9
SuperTrapp w/21 discs, closed end cap
1.4kw starter

Have the dyno sheet posted in the dyno section. I can tell you this, it's surprised a few twinkies already  :teeth:

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

speed limit

I put 50,000 mikes on my big bore 93" ran it with branch head`s a mikuni 45 and a lot of different cam`s I liked the ev 59 the best it was the king of the hill back in the day. It did over heat on me once riding in a funeral and scuffed a piston, a oil cooler is a must. Enjoy the ride and give them 2 cammers hell.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

rdkng

Congrats Drs.. I think I remember when you got the FXR.

I'm not familiar with that big bore kit..  bore cases ?  3 7/8 cyls ?  stock 4 1/4 flywheels ?
must of done some head work for the cam lift.. any other things done ?
enjoy rdkng       
Happy Motoring, Road King George

Buddy WMC

rdkng,
drs would know for sure. If I remember correctly the cases needed to be bored for the larger cylinders and the cylinders are 3.875 or so. Looked into Revolution Performance version of that kit before deciding to use their bolt on 85" version. I didn't want to split my low mileage cases and have the downtime to ship them off to do the machine work. The Revolution kit may be a little larger in bore than the Wiseco kit like 98". This may be a project later on for me if I can afford a new set of cases as these kits retain the stock HD stud pattern. That means I can reuse my ported SE heads and VT 5015 cam that would really perform their best with the extra inches.

speed limit

watch out look`s like that lil 93" might sneek up on that 124" you built. LOL :potstir:

speed limit

Quote from: rdkng on September 25, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

I'm not familiar with that big bore kit..  bore cases ?  3 7/8 cyls ?  stock 4 1/4 flywheels ?
enjoy rdkng       
cases need to be bored,  when I did mine I sent my cylinder`s to wiesco and they removed liner`s and bored cylinder`s oversize to install thicker one`s cylinder bore is 3 3/4 x 4 1/4 stroke =93.4

drs23

Quote from: speed limit on September 26, 2009, 06:27:45 AM
watch out look`s like that lil 93" might sneek up on that 124" you built. LOL :potstir:

:embarrassed: Not right now anyway. It's down again. I *think* we're close to getting to the bottom of that.
Quote from: rdkng on September 25, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

enjoy rdkng       

Yeah, 3 3/4 like speed limit said, cases bored, stock stroke. Head work, kinda. Stumbled upon a heck of deal on some S&S SuperStock heads a while back. A fellow lost the rest of his motorcycle cause he got behind on his storage building rent and needed some cash to get outta town. Got the complete topend for an S&S 96", a set of flatside 5s and a front and rear runner for 250 bucks. I milled the S&S casting off so they look more like stock. rdkng, I did have to flycut the pistons.

Well, looks like the rain is gonna hold off. Think I'll go ride it :wink:

Dale
So many roads...So little time...