May 02, 2024, 03:41:12 AM

News:

'96 Fatboy Build?

Started by maineultraclassic, November 21, 2008, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineultraclassic

My buddy has a '96 Fatboy, and his 80" evo is pretty well stock with just an air cleaner and Ripsaw exhaust.

He's picking up a Mikuni 42 carb, and he's looking at what else he could do to get a bit more power but nothing crazy.

He actually thinks there is a cam in there now, he's going to look at the receipts to see for sure.

I mentioned to him going with a Woods 6 cam, sending the heads to Big Boyz for a good port/polish and maybe some milling to bump the CR up a bit for the cam.

Any other ideas that would help him out?

Thanks,

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

maineultraclassic

My buddy stopped by today, and he does have an Andrews EV27 cam in it, adjustable pushrods, Kury Hypercharger, and Samson Ripsaws.

He is going to pick up a Mikuni 42, and he wants to send the heads to Big Boyz for some work.

Would there be any improvement going from the EV27 to a Woods W6 cam?

What is the optimum CR for the EV27?

What type of ignition upgrade would be the best route to take? Replace the stock one or put on a add-on one?

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic

Billy

Keep the 27, squeeze it @ 9.5, dyna 2000 ign module & single fire coils, lose the hyprecharger in favor of something that breathes (SE or big sucker), thunderheader. Should go 78-80hp/82-84tq.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

maineultraclassic

Would there be much of a benefit from changing the EV27 for the W6?

He likes the hypercharger and is trying to save money. I might try to talk him into a new air setup and selling the hypercharger for him. He is also thinking about a 2-1 exhaust, but he really likes the sound of the Ripsaws.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic

748*2Risk

I was thinking about going to an EV27 on my 88" S&S Evo.  What do you think the ball park price would be for an indie shop to install a cam?
The hangovers hurt more than they used to.......

HeritageSpecial

November 24, 2008, 01:47:58 AM #5 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:50:29 AM by Heritagespecial
maineultra-- what Billy said is right especially if he already has the EV-27 installed but personally I wouldn't run a Thunderheader with that build. Suggest leave the stock crossover in place and just put on some slash cut Cycle Shack slip-ons.

OR

Run a Woods 6 at around 9.7/1 CR, maybe some SE heads--leave the port size alone. If he has already spent $$ for a Mikuni fOK but a worked CV would have served him well and saved him $$.

Install a Big Sucker or anything that lets gobs of air in and get rid of it with a good 2/1 exhaust but again the stock crossover with a good set of slip ons is no slouch either.

Good build for longevity and plenty of grunty lower midrange at 9.7/1 CR with free breathing on both ends...

Just some ideas that worked for me, may not be to your friends liking. How much does he want to spend and why-- once these are answered the solution will fall out....

Regards,
HS

2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

Hillside Motorcycle

Covered this on another site.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

maineultraclassic

Can never get too much info.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic

748*2Risk

What site is it covered on?  Or do you mean thread? //

maineultraclassic

It's on another forum that deals with "v-twin" motorcycles.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic

Flat Dog

748*2Risk-anywhere from 2-4 hours plus parts. I was quoted 4 hours (degreeing the cam/lifter install) and $270 if I supply the bumpstick and lifters. Stealership would probably want at least 2x that.

I've always done my own work for 20+ years, but my garage is full of my Mom's things after she passed, so indie shop it is for now...

748*2Risk

Thanks guys, I thought it would be around three hours. 

Native American

:wink:  I have a 1998 FatBoy with a EV-27 cam, with Heads done also by Bean from Big Boyz, heads shaved 40 on the milling, a thunderheader, reworked cv carb, and could not be happier.
Native American

maineultraclassic

He is on his way to gathering parts, and we'll start tearing it down over the winter.

He'll be happy with the results...........power makes smiles.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic