May 02, 2024, 10:00:41 AM

News:

softail rear sprocket

Started by hardtail84, November 22, 2008, 01:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardtail84

My 84 softail has a 52 tooth rear sprocket. Is that stock or is it more than stock. The bike is a 4 speed and it seems a little buzzy at 65 miles per. I like the acceleration though. :teeth:
It'll fit, just hit it harder!

FSG

Stock for an '84 is 40221-85A FINAL DRIVE SPROCKET 70 TOOTH

hardtail84

I should have said it's a chain drive, not belt. The sprocket is probably a 51 tooth not 52 as I said before, sorry. Will changing to a 48 make a noticable diffrance?

FSG

OK, 41470-73A is a 51 tooth sprocket.

The trannie sprocket should be 33337-83, 23 tooth, is it?

Mark222

Hardtail,

Yes, the stock 51T runs 3000 RPM at 60 MPH with the 4 speed tranny. I have tried several combinations on my 85 over the years.  As I remember you can find 49 and 48T aftermarket pieces out there.  I have an FXEF and the rear sprocket was dished / concave.  I changed the rear wheel which I believe has a softail hub so I could run the flat sprocket since it no longer needed the offset sprocket.  Then I was able to use the 47T sportster sprocket and I have stayed there since.  I have tried changing the tranny sprocket too since I needed to change it at one point due to wear, but ended up going back to the stock 23T front 47T rear combo. I run a .581 lift crane cam with head work, a mik 42 and python III exhaust.  With this set up I have no problem moving off the line, even 2 up and have cut the revs a the highway speeds by almost 300 RPMs.

I have attached a spreadsheet that will hopefully show you options.  Note:  Changing the Comp sprocket to 25 from 24 requires a lot of work in the early Evos, so you may want to look past these possibilities.  Changing the rear is obviously the easiest. 

Mark

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

hardtail84

Thank you, that's what I wanted yo know. I ride single and the bike is as light as it can get so maybe the 48 is wwwhat I should have.

Mark222

Yep, 48 would be no probem, and will be enough to notice.
Mark