April 27, 2024, 08:32:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are the stock inner cam bearings on new 96" better than the older 88 ?

Started by GoFast....., November 22, 2008, 06:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoFast.....

I wonder if the quality of the new cam bearings are better than the old.They do not look like it?
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

ederdelyi

They are still a caged roller. They increased the size. Better quality? There's nothing wrong with the "quality" of the INA bearings they use. The Evo's had a problem with the inner bearing, but that was mainly due to the fact that the EVO's only had a single bearing to cope with the load.

I've used both the caged and full complement rollers in hi-po TC's and have never had a problem ... even with motors that were run at 7500+ RPM. If using the full complement roller (commonly referred to as the "Torrington" bearings) gives one the "warm and fuzzies", then by all means do so. BTW, INA makes full complement roller bearings too.

EDIT: in bold, fixed my grammer :>)

Faast Ed

I swapped mine for the "warm & fuzzy".  Not doubting the quality, but I liked the thought of filling the gaps between rollers with more rollers.  Cams were out anyway.
Cost me around $14 or less, for both. Didn't count the rollers, but had to be near twice as many in the replacement bearings.
≡Faast Ed>

fxrp

We don't need to get into one manufacturer being 'better quaity' than another. But it is a simple fact that full complement are much better than caged. IMO the single cam/dual cam "load" issue is irrelevant.

Paul

ederdelyi

Chuckle. The bearings are cheap, all I'm saying is that the caged rollers have not been a problem in my experience I use both in my personal motors and the full complement bearings in others ... why? Because everyone "knows" that the full complement bearings are better and they would think they got a bad job without them. Those same folks will refuse a crank bearing upgrade or crank weld and plug job ... more money. I've turned more jobs away over crank disagreements than cam bearings :>) There are some things I just won't compromise on and since i don't need the money to survive ... #@(* 'em :>)

"Smoke 'em if ya got 'em (or not)" :>)

EDIT: Spell check :>)

GoFast.....

Quote from: ederdelyi on November 22, 2008, 08:27:30 AM
Chuckle. The bearings are cheap, all I'm saying is that the caged rollers have not been a problem in my experience I use both in my personal motors and the full complement bearings in others ... why? Because everyone "knows" that the full complement bearings are better and they would think they got a bad job without them. Those same folks will refuse a crank bearing upgrade or crank weld and plug job ... more money. I've turned more jobs away over crank disagreements than cam bearings :>) There are some things I just won't compromise on and since i don't need the money to survive ... #@(* 'em :>)

"Smoke 'em if ya got 'em (or not)" :>)

EDIT: Spell check :>)
I agree ED, To upgrade for that amount and not do it.  :bf:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber