How to determine if you have an exhaust leak???

Started by Dennis The Menace, November 22, 2008, 06:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

I have wanted to ask this question for a few months, so....how do you know if you have an exhaust leak?  Other than possibly if the bike has decel pop.

Menace

ederdelyi

Exhaust leaks typically have a "chirp" or "hissing" sound to them that are pretty easy to spot. If you have trouble locating an exhaust leak (and popping on decel is not always an indication of a leak) then use something that creates smoke or something visible that will float in the air (non combustible, PLEASE) and direct it to the areas where you suspect the leak may be. A Halloween smoke generator and a piece of tubing makes a great leak finder :>)

The more "open" an exhaust system is, the more likely it is to pop and crackle on decel. Other than the noise it is usually not harmful unless the noise is being caused by something other than just an open exhaust.

Dennis The Menace

Sounds like a good tip.  My system is fairly open, with a Doherty PowerPacc and Bub 7's.  it also has a crossover pipe, which may influence things, I suppose.  I also have a TMax and have made some adjustments to the decel cutoff RPM's.  Just havent found that magic range yet....a lot of poppin in the 1500-3200 RPM range, mostly in the low 2000's.

I will try some smoke around the head ports and see if anything comes up.

thank you!

Menace

dakota224

squirt some soapy water around it while at idle.. should start to blow bubbles   :smilep:

Faast Ed

QuoteI will try some smoke around the head ports and see if anything comes up.

You could also try a wrench there, to see if the bolts feel snug.  They sometimes need retightening after a few heat cycles.
≡Faast Ed>

ederdelyi

Well, if we are going to list all the alternative methods :>) ....

Stuff a rag, potato, whatever in the outlet and the leak will make itself readily apparent! Don't laugh, it works. Smoke and the plug trick don't make a mess that you have to clean up.

Next?

CrazyRay

If you know your exhaust seals are good and the nuts are tight as Faast Ed mentioned, then you might have to just try and see a crack. I use a bright flashlight like a 1watt or better led and a magnifying glass. Look around all the obvious places, where the pipe goes into the heads, and any weld. What kind of pipes are you running?

Faast Ed

also, if they have been running a while, there is often a teltale sign of carbon around a loose joint (like where a slip-on fastens to the headpipe).
≡Faast Ed>

FSG

While it wont help you find it, I use 2 clips per pipe to ensure there are no leaks.

86fxwg

Heres an easy inexpensive way to find a leak,get a stethescope remove the amplifier from the hose and install a peice of steel brake line any lenth.
Stethescope from harbour freight works fine $5.00.Brake line $2.00.Finding the leak priceless.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Paniolo

Get your bic firestarter. Light it and hold it near every joint. If there is a leak, it will show up as a flickering flame. For an intake leak, spray WD40 or carb cleaner at all intake joints and listen for a change in engine speed. That's how I do it.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Scooter Trash

On top of all the above, "Y" pipes will crack and suck air.