April 27, 2024, 11:57:51 PM

News:

Seat post

Started by shovelkid73, November 22, 2008, 09:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelkid73

I need help we got a '68 FL and need to get the seat post out its been painted in the frame. I've already stripped the paint from around it, and removed the nut on the bottom. The pipe wrench ain't workin', any ideas that DO NOT involve heat? 

76shuvlinoff

Sounds like it's really in there.  Lots of penetrating oil for a few days might help. There should be a grease fitting you could pump it in there at that point too.  Clamp on with some kind of slide hammer to pull it.  You may have to resort to driving it up from the bottom or cutting it off and leaving it as the very last ditch effort.

Good luck
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Skin

Thanks 76, my Son posted this. We were hoping to get the seat post out and re-use it with a solo seat. Not so sure now. it's really stuck. We'll try the penetrating oil and grease the fitting and see what happens.
We're finishing building this for a lady whose Dad was killed on his dresser. He was in the process of putting together this '68 and she wanted to keep it in memory of him. So from the looks of it when we got it, I think he was going for the "pogo" style solo seat. It was about 60% when it entered the garage. We'll post pictures when it's finished.

Lew

Copious amounts of penetrating oil will help loosten it up....you might try smacking it all around the top of the post to loosen it up some so the oil can work itself down.  Heat will usually help.  I know you don't want to use it but heating the top of the post should transfer heat enough to break things loose.  Trying to turn it with a pipe wrench usually won't work until it's loosened up some.  I once made a slide hammer to pull one because I didn't want to ruin the springs.  I welded a washer sideways to a length of ready rod to use in place of the seat link, pinned it on the plunger, slid on a flywheel half and put a washer and two nuts at the top.  While heating the top of the plunger I was able to hammer it out without messing it up.  Good luck!
Lew      
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

76shuvlinoff

Skin,
sounds a a genuinely excellent undertaking. Good luck and we'll be looking for those pics. The guys here would love to see how it goes and offer any assistance they can.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

November 22, 2008, 06:12:44 PM #5 Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:18:08 PM by pappyfreebird
kroil oil...makes pb blaster n liquid wrench seem like water..ifn she ain jammed somehow n jus rusted this cheeyut ill eat it free..amazin stuff i think...my pappy orders it ..did have a site online too  kano oil .com..special on now 2 13 oz cans devilerd fer like 12 bucks... i need ta order that myself

MMOCGuy

It hasta come out of there - different metals, etc.!!

Follow Lewy's method along with a lot of patience and that should do it.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

stroker800

if it is steel to steel,,,muriatic acid will desolve rust,,,,,it is weak,,,,but it will leave pits where the rust was...it will not hurt paint ,,,,,,,,,,but will burn your lungs  ,,,I have used it over the years to strip old rusted parts, as a liquid wrench for bolts..Any steel that it makes contact with will rust again.....I would brush some acid  into the space around the post and let it sit 5 mins,wash with water do it again...repeat.....wear a respirator,,,,,you should be able to buy at any hardware store,  its for cleaning concrete..
Dave

Mule

Like Pappy said KROIL is the stuff. Had an old Indian Chief frame with the post rusted solid in the frame, soaked it with Kroil . It took about a week..one day it just popped loose...Mule...

panz4ever

My 49 EL had been sitting in a leaky barn for over 30 years. To get the seat post out I ended up heating the down tube. It was a mess cuz I pumped all sorts of penetrating oil down it, but it cam out.

shovelkid73

Well I got it out of there made a puller outta three bolts and a scraped out school project. and after a little heat the top 2 inches broke off and the spring stayed in there too much rust.  thanks for all the help.      Jess