May 01, 2024, 05:58:46 AM

News:

Good place to buy quality generator gear ?

Started by twincamzz, October 05, 2009, 09:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Seems that the generator on my '61 Pan decided to take a dump, so I ordered a new one with built in regulator from Cycle Electric. Low & behold when I took the old generator off the existing gear just slips right on / off the shaft. According to Cycle Electric this will cause a problem. Looking at the old generator shaft I can see where it is worn considerably from the sloppy fit. Where's a good place to get a quality gear from ? I realize that J&P sells them, but figured they are from across the sea & probably not the best available.
not all who wander are lost...

monty101

You know years ago I replaced my 6 volt generator with a 12 volt auto generator. It never gave me a lick of trouble. That was in 1975 and I can't remember what year and vehicle the generator
fit. Somebody should know. I'd think that would be the way to go for quality and $$$$$.

CraigArizona85248

The generator gear I have on my CE generator came from J&P.  I have >60K miles on it with no problem.  That was over 5 years ago that I ordered it, so I don't know if they still have the same gear I bought.  I'm pretty sure it came from Taiwan though.

-Craig

Pynzo

twincamzz

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered a kit complete with new gear & oil deflector from J&P. It'll be here Wednesday & hopefully I'll get everything together then.

I read the instructions that came with the CE generator & it sounds simple enough. That's where I got the concern about using just any old aftermarket gear, BTW. As usual though, I have a question. After I install the deflector & gear on the shaft, how tight do I tighten the nut ? Instruction say to tighten nut until deflector will not spin without gear spinning also. Sounds simple enough, but the old deflector in the old generator appeared to be a press fit on the round part of the shaft that was not splined & did not want to come off the shaft with the gear completely removed despite my best efforts. So I guess I'm asking if by tightening the nut / holding the gear that I'm supposed to be "pressing " the deflector on the shaft as well as the gear on the splined section, or should the deflector slide on easily before I install gear & tighten the nut down ?

Stupid question maybe, but never been here before & not too proud to ask for help.
not all who wander are lost...