April 28, 2024, 11:45:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Syncing VE's?

Started by Arrowsmit, November 22, 2008, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrowsmit

November 22, 2008, 09:57:06 AM Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:13:47 AM by Arrowsmit
I'd like to get a grasp on this...would someone explain how setting all AFR to a common value like 13.2 enables VE syncronizing (w/SERT, TTS)?

TIA,

VicW.

Herko

The setting of 13.2 in all the AFR cells is for the "calibration" phase of the tune.
Then, with an AFR reading device, use/set the VE's front and rear to obtain 13.2 AFR in every parameter (area of operation) for both front and rear.

Once the system (ECU and injectors) are all "calibrated" then go back and set the AFR table to your desired AFR(s) for a given area of operation.

If a cell was calibrated to the 13.2 and you now set 13.8 in a cell, the pulse width will now be less to deliver less fuel to make that area of operation (cell) appropriately leaner.
Setting say 12.5 will do the opposite, increase pulse width, to make that cell richer.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Herko

The word synchronization can be substituted for calibration in the above post.

The beauty of the TTST (on the Closed Loop bikes) is that a tuner can use the OE sensors to assist in the calibration phase of the tune. Hence, 14.6 is used as the calibration AFR for those bikes.

Additionally, the V-Tune feature gathers the necessary data and will then show the appropriate change needed to the VE's to make 14.6 AFR.  It will then auto-apply those VE changes with the "Generate Map" feature.

Then, the WOT areas are done with another (conventional) AFR measuring device. Calibrating (syncing) those areas to 13.5 is typical.

Arrowsmit

Man, that's a great explanation Herko, :up: I think I finally got it...DING!! :idea: Looks like the real trick will be to hit every single VE parameter while riding for a complete calibration.

Can I assume that since the VE's I don't/can't capture will be in areas where I don't ride much, that they won't be important?

I have some free time coming up & (weather permitting) I think I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Much thanks,

VicW.

whittlebeast

November 22, 2008, 12:46:11 PM #4 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:38:57 AM by whittlebeast
The v-tune program also writes to and fine tunes the Default MAP table.  This table is used when the throttle is moved quickly.  You can see this all happening in the data logs.

Here is a sample log http://www.ncs-stl.com/SertTune/MapDefault.jpg

AW
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

sage1

Quote from: Herko on November 22, 2008, 10:38:24 AM
The setting of 13.2 in all the AFR cells is for the "calibration" phase of the tune.
Then, with an AFR reading device, use/set the VE's front and rear to obtain 13.2 AFR in every parameter (area of operation) for both front and rear.

this makes sense to me

Once the system (ECU and injectors) are all "calibrated" then go back and set the AFR table to your desired AFR(s) for a given area of operation.

where do we come up with the desired afrs

If a cell was calibrated to the 13.2 and you now set 13.8 in a cell, the pulse width will now be less to deliver less fuel to make that area of operation (cell) appropriately leaner.
Setting say 12.5 will do the opposite, increase pulse width, to make that cell richer.

if you knew the desire afr to be 13.8 or whatever  why not just tune it to that? im just tying to help myself learn efi on my bike.

Herko

"where do we come up with the desired afrs "

That's up to what the tuner decides to set in for a given area of operation (load/engine speed/ etc) factoring in the build/bike type/ riding style/ bike use etc.

"if you knew the desire afr to be 13.8 or whatever  why not just tune it to that? im just tying to help myself learn efi on my bike".

There's several different AFR's used in a good tune. AFR's differ depending on what the engine likes for a given area of operation (load/engine speed/ etc) factoring in the build/bike type/ riding style/ bike use etc.

sage1

Quote from: Herko on November 23, 2008, 09:04:30 AM

"where do we come up with the desired afrs "

That's up to what the tuner decides to set in for a given area of operation (load/engine speed/ etc) factoring in the build/bike type/ riding style/ bike use etc.

where does the tuner come up with them? assuming educated guess based on his experience and does this mean we could ask a tuner we trust for targets and get a afr reading tool for sync and use his targts when done?

"if you knew the desire afr to be 13.8 or whatever  why not just tune it to that? im just tying to help myself learn efi on my bike".

There's several different AFR's used in a good tune. AFR's differ depending on what the engine likes for a given area of operation (load/engine speed/ etc) factoring in the build/bike type/ riding style/ bike use etc.

I do understand the diff afrs depending on conditions just not sure i wouldnt just tune to get the target afr. thanks

Herko

"where does the tuner come up with them? assuming educated guess based on his experience and does this mean we could ask a tuner we trust for targets and get a afr reading tool for sync and use his targts when done"?

I would say more experience than an educated guess.
Yep, sync with an AFR tool. Careful, watch the road not the laptop while riding.
His targets may be fine. The Cal file (canned map) AFR's aren't bad if you have nothing else to base your decision on.

"I do understand the diff afrs depending on conditions just not sure i wouldnt just tune to get the target afr. thanks"

This can be done too...have done it on occasion. There's more than one way to skin this cat. Bottom line is getting the desired outcome. Gotta watch getting the right result for the wrong reason though.

sage1

November 23, 2008, 09:54:28 AM #9 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:58:14 AM by sage1
Quote from: Herko on November 23, 2008, 09:33:05 AM
"where does the tuner come up with them? assuming educated guess based on his experience and does this mean we could ask a tuner we trust for targets and get a afr reading tool for sync and use his targts when done"?

I would say more experience than an educated guess. lol, thats what i meant, i figured the experience would give him the edu guess.

Yep, sync with an AFR tool. Careful, watch the road not the laptop while riding.
His targets may be fine. The Cal file (canned map) AFR's aren't bad if you have nothing else to base your decision on.

sounds interesting kind of takes do it yourself to new meaning

"I do understand the diff afrs depending on conditions just not sure i wouldnt just tune to get the target afr. thanks"[/b][/color]

This can be done too...have done it on occasion. There's more than one way to skin this cat. Bottom line is getting the desired outcome. Gotta watch getting the right result for the wrong reason though. thanks