May 01, 2024, 09:36:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

D&D Fat cat w/ quiet baffle

Started by Blackbaggr, November 22, 2008, 10:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbaggr

Lookin for some educated opinion. I have a 07 FLH...currently w/ a PCIII, SEAC, & V&H Ovals. I'm lookin at replacing the exhaust with the D&D fat cat w/ quiet baffle. Eventually I think I'm goin with the TTS Mastertune...hopefully sooner than later but I'm on a budget.

So I'm wondering. Sound level....I've heard the FC w/ standard baffle but was wondering about the quiet baffle vs the Ovals...louder or quieter ??? Iknow its deeper.

I think its a better setup than stock headers and slip-ons but does anyone have any negatives on the FC vs what I'm running.

I believe I'm eliminating the crossover w/ the FC...will that reduce some heat ?  (Of course I'm altering AFR, running a oil cooler and AMSOIL too ) (Don't wanna go duals)

I've hear fit and finish is excellent...any bad stories on this.

Thanks in advance.

maineultraclassic

You will gain power with the Fatcat, and you will get a better sound as well. You will need to get a new map for the PCIIIusb as the 2-1 will be flowing much better then the stock headers with slip-ons.

I've gone thru 9 different exhausts on my bike in 3 years, and the Fatcat is the one that I ended up with and keeping. It's been on there for about 15 months, and isn't going anywhere's at all. The quality is unmatched, the fit-n-finish is top notch, and the sound and performance are both great.

I cruise down the highway at 75mph and I can hear my music just fine..........the quiet baffle is the way to go. Now don't be fooled into thinking the quiet baffle is quiet, it's called a quiet baffle because it's quiet when compared to the standard baffle in a Fatcat.

Go with the Fatcat..........you'll be very very glad you did.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Blackbaggr

Thanks...I've followed your builds on another site. I apprecaite your response and expect that most will be similar but I'm still looking for input. I almost ordered it yesterday but Eastern Performance was out of stock yesterday.

blk-betty

Ran a Fatcat on a 95" softail and it is great pipe, BUT is was lound.  I never tried the quiet baffle so I can't say much about how it would compare to the ovals but the standard baffle would be a lot louder than your ovals.

Recently swapped from V&H True Duals and Cycle Shack slip-ons on my FLHX to a Supertrapp Supermeg and I'm finding I'm liking the quiet exhaust more and more after every ride.  Something to think about if your worried about the "quiet" baffle being too loud.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

Arrowsmit

Quote...and isn't going anywhere's at all

...what Steve said! :up:

VicW.

V24me

I had the FatCat on my 95" and I removed my baffle and made it into a quiet one.  I am very pleased with it.  When I putt around the neighborhood, it is very respectful, and at cruising it is noticable, but not overwhelming.  However, when you get on it, you can hear it scream.  The throttle is like a volume knob on a stereo.  Besides, can't beat the performance, look and finish of the FC
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

02roadcling

Got the standard baffle and it aint loud. They only get louder with more compression. I'm at 9.6
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

monkeyfeet

I am using the muffler that I had fabed up at Joe Smith's  race car shop.
it was on my 127 rd glide
at that time I had Borezilla with quiet baffle
looked around and found the Hushpower muffler ( for street rods)  by Flow Master
inlet is 2.5 and outlet is same
removed the mounting brackets off old E slip on muffler and had them welded on Hushpower
added short section of 2.5 tubing to inlet and mounted it on myBorezilla header
sound is deep not raspy kinda like Ducati sound
made pulls on dyno only dropped my HP from 150 to 145 with that big of a motor did not bother me !!
traded my rd Glide for my present bike 07 St Glide with Fat Kat bought another Hushpower and had it fabed to fit new bike, this set up now makes 1.5 more HP than quiet D&D muffler. added plus is being able to whack it Hard in traffic and not drawing so much attention  as with fat kat muffler
cost of Hushpower was $150 plus fabricating cost of $125, did not chrome just flat black ( Hushpower is stainless steel)
103 0 deck flat tops,54's stock TB, WFO budget heads perfect fit pushrods
104 HP & 108 TQ  Actual uncorrected  SAE 101 HP and 105 TQ
I'm happy Monkeyfeet

PanHeadRed

November 23, 2008, 08:52:23 AM #8 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:03:16 AM by PanHeadRed
>does anyone have any negatives on the FC<

Yes, HEAT on the right leg, I am 6'1" tall and have burned my right leg a few times and holes in my cloths twice. I got it from a guy who didn't like the right leg heat on his bike.

I believe I'm eliminating the crossover w/ the FC...will that reduce some heat ?

IMO- NFW. The pipe is still on my bike because it sounds ok, and seems to perform, but a "felt heat" reducer it is not.

EDIT: The bike mentioned above is a 2000 FLHR.

Blackbaggr

Quote from: PanHeadRed on November 23, 2008, 08:52:23 AM
>does anyone have any negatives on the FC<

Yes, HEAT on the right leg, I am 6'1" tall and have burned my right leg a few times and holes in my cloths twice. I got it from a guy who didn't like the right leg heat on his bike.

I believe I'm eliminating the crossover w/ the FC...will that reduce some heat ?

IMO- NFW. The pipe is still on my bike because it sounds ok, and seems to perform, but a "felt heat" reducer it is not.

EDIT: The bike mentioned above is a 2000 FLHR.

Ok well this is what I'm looking for. Anyone with a FLH model please provide feedback. I have heard this from another FLH owner but it is still a big seller.

blk-betty

Ok, you asked for any more negatives.

First as I said I had a Fatcat, on a softail, it was loud for my liking but the build was at 10.5:1 so that may have had a bearing on the noise level.  Other than the sound it was a great performer on my softail......However, if I remeber correctly, a lot of guys and tuners noticed a pretty consistent mid range tq dip or flat spot when installed on FLH bikes.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the increased length of the pipe on touring bikes vs. softails/dynas or not becasue mine had no dip whatsover but I looked at several graphs on the old HTT that showed a mid range dip on touring bikes.  Having said that, the dip was never extreme, maybe 2-5 tq at most and more than likely would never be felt "seat of the pants", but if you are looking for ALL you can get in the low to mid range, the Fatcat may not be the best option on a FLH.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

Yo J

Quality is there for sure and customer support was great...

1. My build did not benefit from the D&D.... I went to RH TD and got +10TQ. (Yes I had a good tune  - by John at  http://www.prostreetcycles.net/)

Ref: http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/dynoruns.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1352645&LastModified=4675677715385696219

2. I found that the pipe stuck out about 1" more on my 06 Ultra than any other pipe I've had, SuperMeg, VH TD, Stock, RH TD, and the right side heat was noticeable.... never burned myself or clothing....

skyhook

November 23, 2008, 03:03:53 PM #12 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:09:07 PM by skyhook
go with supermeg...quieter...better tq curve...tuneable...fatcat has terrible tq dip midrange, falls off right where ya need it...fatcat sounds like crap to my ears...like a sawed-off, sick shadetree tech's dream
always seem to get their azz wet?

sf657

Look up Automotive Machining in Fort Worth Texas. 120 dollars cheaper than some other places. I have the standard baffle and I like it just fine. Havent heard the quiet but they all say it ain't so quiet. But like others have said fit and finish is excellent.

specialx1

had mine on flh for few years now and couldnt be happier , love the sound, no heat problems i have found.  i,m 6'4!
chrome and fit is excellent in my opinion,had heat shield crack on front pipe but called them and they sent me new one free of charge with new design that doesnt crack,
JMHO
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

DocSlick

We took a stock 2008 96" touring bike and did a baseline pull on the dyno.  Then installed the HD snorkel breather, Fatcat with standard baffle and a PCIII.  The bike made less power than stock.  I am a big fan of the D&D and almost always recommend it.  So, I called D&D, sent them some dyno sheets and they over nighted me a big bore quiet baffle for testing.  Put it in and the motor made great power.  MainUltraClassic is right.  It is not a "quiet" baffle at all.  The guys at D&D are serious about quality, power, and customer service.
Wilson