May 01, 2024, 05:24:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rev limit on my 95 HD W/G......

Started by harleydavid21, November 22, 2008, 11:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleydavid21

Hi to all. I have just bought a 95 HD W/G with only 16K miles. It looks great and runs good, BUT as I go thru the gears and open it up it seems to slow down in the gears, like it has a rev limit on it.
Does a stock engine have a rev limit on a 95 HD W/G?
If so, what can I do to solve this problem? Maybe a screaming eagle ignition?
Any info would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks,
Dave
Arlington,TX

RLPOS1

yes and yes. The ignition module does have a limiter at around 5500 rpm. Replace it with the S/E 6000 rpm modue. Easy install as it plugs right in and does not require any initial set up as the newer bikes do
                                        :teeth:
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

Phu Cat

David21, You Twinkie is different than our Evo with a rev limiter of 5,200, but when I run into the rev limiter it's real noticeable.  It doesn't just slow down a little, it stops your acceleration by retarding the timing if I recall. 

Are ya sure everything else is OK?  Do ya have a buddy with a similar engine where you ride along side of him as you go thru the gears and see if you run pretty close with his bike?  I'm not sure how a rev limiter works on a Twinkie, but others here will.  Good luck.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

gottaride

i believe -95 was still an EVO not a twinkie
We're not here for a long time, just a Good Time!!

harleydavid21

bigblock6912

it has a rev limiter but you wouldn't be bouncing off the limiter in the higher gears, first and second maybe.