May 02, 2024, 10:30:18 AM

News:

1987 FLST turn signal problems

Started by stick70, November 22, 2008, 01:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick70

Turn signals work OK when switch is turned to ignition only. When I have the switch turned all the way to lights and ignition they act weird.
The rear ones come on but on the front the running light element goes out and the turns signal element glows dimly. They don't flash either.
I am guessing either a bad flasher relay or a short to ground.
Any ideas?

hdbikedoc

sounds like the light circuit is using turnsignal circuit for ground on this year the turnsignal pod is the ground check that it tight also check the ground wire from the bottom of the right side riser bolt to the topp triple tree
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Tomahawk

I had this problem one time on my 91 Heritage, had to think what I did to the bike prior to this wonky problem. I had just washed the bike, took it for a ride and had a similiar problem, signal lights. I took it home, took switch assembly apart off the handle bars, thinking what now. Moisture!!! was shorting out switches. Bought my self an leaf blower, made sure I dried out all the handle bar switches. Sometimes back tracking solves what appears to be a big and pricey fix is something simple.    :beer: