April 28, 2024, 09:10:16 AM

News:

Seized motor...I think

Started by randyredneck, November 22, 2008, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randyredneck

Well, I think I have a seized motor on my 03 Ultra. The bike shut down on me and I thought I had some electrical issues and that was the problem. When it shut down it just died, no loud noises or unusual sounds, but I still had full power to the bike (radio, lights, fuel pump, etc...), just wouldn't start.  Well, I did have an electrical issue, but I fixed it and the bike still won't turn over. I originally thought I wasn't getting enough power to turn it over, but I replaced the battery cables and fully charged the battery after having it tested (so I know it's good). Well, I'm getting more power now but the starter just kicks but nothing else, won't turn the motor at all. Now it makes a loud clicking noise (multiple clicks, not the battery low kind of click though) when I try to start it. This sound is like what it sounds like when the compensator nut comes loose. Well, I took the primary case off to check things out...all seems ok in there. So now I'm starting to wonder...is the motor seized up? So, I kick the bike into 6th gear and pull the plugs. I tried turning the rear wheel, but no luck...won't turn the motor at all. But, if I strap the clutch in I can turn the rear wheel (I assume this means that the tranny's ok).

So, what do you all think? Sound bad?  :emsad:

Any ideas appreciated.
Randy

thunderalley3

Randy,

Take a good look at the primary chain and sprockets, I have seen bolts come loose and wedge in the sprocket under the chain and cause what you are describing. Is the chain extremely tight, that is a good indicator. If not you would also want to check under the rotor, then you also have the engine seperated from the rest of the powertrain, so you can put the compensator nut back on and see if you can turn the engine over with a breaker bar.

Lewis

Faast Ed

Do you have very many miles on those old style tensioners?  They have been known to fall apart and clog your oil passages.

I sure hope that is not the case,.....
≡Faast Ed>

02FYRFTR

Since you already have the primary cover off, remove the entire primary system, don't forget clutch nut is left haded, CW to remove, sprocket shaft is ccw to loosen.  After removal of primary reinstall the sprocket shaft compensator retaining nut and using a breaker bar attempt to roll the motor over.   Drain the oil from the pan and look at the oil and magnetic plug for metallic particles, pull the oil filter and cut it apart to see what is inside.  last resort remove the drain plug from the bottom of the case and look at oil that drains out for metallic particles.

randyredneck

The primary chain is pretty tight, but I didn't notice any foreign material caught in the chain.

The tensioners...yeah, well...I think I have about 25,000 on them. I'm at 52K miles and at about 30K miles I rebuilt the top end and cam chest (installed new cams). This is a 103ci motor (upgraded it to the SE103 kit at about 20K miles). I didn't pull the cam chest apart, that's next but just more of a PITA because of the 2into1 Supertrapp exhaust.

But, according to my testing so far am I looking at a seized motor?

Thanks,
Randy

ederdelyi

Possibly, BUT, isloate the motor from the drivetrain by removing the compensator and primary chain. It could be the rotor (seperated magnets) that is jamming things up. If the motor won't turn over once you have done the above then something internal has seized or bound up. Hope and look for the obvious (and simple) stuff first. It actually takes quite a lot to seize one of these things ... and they usually don't do it gently!

autoworker

If you go into the cam chest...see if will turn over with the oil pump removed.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.