May 02, 2024, 06:36:56 AM

News:

Battery cables

Started by 79hdflh, November 22, 2008, 02:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79hdflh

Anybody know the gauge of the battery cables on a stock 79 FLH. I have some 6 gauge wire and was wondering if this is sufficient.
I see 4 gauge cables advertised in the J & P catalogue, but no 6.
Thanks

Lew

I think it's 6ga. although I can't find it listed in my reference stuff.  I'd use the 4ga. as it will provide less current loss = good....
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

76shuvlinoff

Welding cable is great stuff for this, many stranded, low resistance, and very flexible.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

stroker800

I make up my own cables,,,they're car stereo amp cables. They are usually #6 cable made by monster cable. They are oxygen free high strand count and very flexible..There is enuff cable to make 10 cables or so and never had any problems.

Dave

em3

Spend the money and buy the All balls cables from J&P, you will not be disappointed

hotham

Several years ago, I put a set of those high wire count, flexible cables on my stroker.  I was able to use the stock starter and eliminated the hard starting big motors with high compression can cause.  I am a believer.  Someone else used Monster cable and I made up a set for a friend with 4 gauge Monster and they worked great, too.

Hillside Motorcycle

We carry the Sumax "Thundervolt" cables here.
Seem to work well.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

NormL

I have cables made up at the auto starter shop using 2 gauge.  It's pretty inexpensive really.  Just know the length and stud size and don't waste their time./   :wink:
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

dave_9113

Like other said, build your cables.  Go to a stereo shop and buy the monster cables #4.  Clear ones are cool looking.  Length that you will need and then some battery 1/4" hole battery cable ends at the auto store.  Makes nice cables for less than $10. 

dave

NormL

shovel cabels have 1/4' on battery and 5/16 and 3/8 for solenoid and starter conections
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

shovel_denis

December 26, 2008, 06:27:38 PM #10 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:21:26 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Although this is an old thread......thought I'd throw in my $0.02, I'm with Stroker800 on the 4 stereo cables. I use 4GA. They are clear so just get yourself some red and black heat shrink to use on the pos and neg. Added pics of the negative cables I ran to a quick battery disconnect so you can see what they look like.

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/shoveldenis/Picture083.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/shoveldenis/Picture085.jpg

79hdflh

Thanks for all your help and information guys. Here in Canada, I went to an electronics box store and inquired about the monster cables they use when installing car audio systems. Was informed the packaged cable would cost approx $100. :cry:
Way too much for 2-3 battery cables and they don't sell by the foot! Will keep looking.

shovel_denis

79.............. I am in canada as well and made those up for 25.00 including connections and heat shrink..........where in canada are you?

harpo1313

marine cable is the best and available by the foot,also stainless or copper lugs in many sizes.lottsa good stuff in the marine supply store.