April 27, 2024, 08:58:11 AM

News:

Cold Weather Starting

Started by Rodney_C, November 22, 2008, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney_C

I live in Ky and I own a 83 FXWG I went out to try to start her up today and I don't know if the cold weather set in her or what but it would turn over but wouldn't fire.  If anyone else has had this problem let me know, I'd like to fire her up just to hear it run hell might even take it out in this shitty 30 or 40 degree weather, never know with me.

Thanks

Rod

Lew

Check for fuel by pulling the line off the carb.  Check for spark at the plugs.  If the bike sits for awhile the fuel will evaporate from the float bowl.  If running points, they can foul if they sit closed for awhile.  Plugs fouled?  Coil cracked because the key was left on?
Or...does it possibly need the tank/s switched to reserve?

I did this the other day?   :embarrassed:

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

stroker800

I live south of Ottawa Canada,,,,so yeah its cold...I try too ride till the snow flies and then even on clear days...I try to start the bike at least once a month..I run a small dirt bike style battery, kicker only stroker. It will take extra tickles on the SU carb but always starts..The motor has 50 weight synthetic oil in it...I find that the Dyna S ignition helps out alot..If your bike is turning over fast enuff,,,you should be good to go...sounds like a spark or fuel issue..Lets face it shovels love to run in the cold weather,,,once started.

Dave

baldoldfxr

I used to have A lot of trouble starting my old bike when very cold with 50 weight in it just would'nt turn over fast enough, I put some 20/50 in for winter problem solved.

76shuvlinoff

When it's real cold, especially if it has sat for a few days, I cheat with a shot of starting fluid.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Mule

All Shovels like different amounts of fuel to start, In the summer months I give three shots from the accelerator pump and it will fire, cold weather it likes five to eight. If you have a small intake leak it will also affect cold weather starting. If you have the stock electronic ignition it is very voltage sensitive , if your battery is low , the draw from the starter may not let the ignition have enough voltage to fire, it may turn over but not fire...Good luck...Mule...

Rodney_C

I think it may be the plugs haven't pulled them yet but everything else seems to be fine I'm keepin the battery on trickle charge so it won't completely die on me, I will change the plugs to see if that is the problem though, thanks for the help guys.

Later

Rod :bf:

53Pan66shovel

my bike has been sitting two weeks temps havent been out the 40s went out today three primes one kick AWESOME :smilep:

hotham

I find cold weather starting is usually a matter of technique or state of engine tune up.  My stroker starts every time with 2 throttle twists and full enrichener on the S&S G.  I have to get it off the enrichener fast or it will load up.  I am conviced it is tuned perfect.  Kickers need the right technique,  Each bike is a little different

smoldrn

For those of you that live in the "frozen" climates, be advised that just starting up your bike and letting it run for a little bit is not really good for it. Ya need to run it long enough to get the motor hot enough to burn off the condensation inside from it sitting. Also, a 60 or 100W lightbulb under the crankcase will help keep the oil warm for those cold start mornings.

Rodney_C

thanks for the help guys turns out it was the plugs, just burned the fuel off and sanded the tops off and she fired up, anyone know the best plug to put in those shovels, I have NGKS in them right now they seem to be doing good but if there is something better for it I want to put them in it.

Later

Rod

76shuvlinoff

Dunno if they're "better" but I run Autolite 4265s , long reach. Dual plugged so I have 4 of em set at a tight .025 and I run it single fire.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

metalration

December 09, 2008, 09:56:37 PM #12 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:29:02 PM by 76shuvlinoff
Give your a battery a good charge. 2 hrs 2amps. Choke or enrich. Crack the throttle one time.push the start button.

shovelkid73

I've run both Champion and Autolites and didn't notice any difference but did notice when i switched from points to the crane Hi4