April 27, 2024, 11:00:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ignition help '73 xlh

Started by luckee13, November 22, 2008, 07:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckee13

any igniton suggestions for good/great performance? bike has solid state dual fire module with accel super coil(?), don't know if it's single or dual-it's round and it's yellow. anyway, bike ran great all summer, now it's cold outside and hard to start. got it running by leaning the mix (super B), ran good, warmed up, adjusted mix. turned off and would not start after 3 minutes. looks like front plug is not firing, but exhaust is coming out of both pipes. rear plug is a little black. so, don't want to go back to points. i'm thinking the whole system is out of whack. any suggestions for a coil and igniton module combination that doesn't cost a fortune?? thanks!

olpigiron

Have You Checked Your Battery? When It Gets Cold Batteries Seem to GoTo Shite!!! Just Something to Look @!!!

Cheers
OPI
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

luckee13

new battery, cranks like a champ, i put it on the charger when in the garage. s&s says use an insulator block between manifold and carb, i don't have one. is this it? front plug is sparking, but rear plug spark looks stronger..
thanks for the reply.
L13

dirtywhitewalls

i know nothing of elect ignition, but i know a little about super b. i know of the insulator you speak of, but I've never had one, i don't think i ever needed one because I've had no problem with s&s b. i think the isolator is for warm weather keeping engine heat away from carb body.  you should not have to mess with fuel-air mix once set correctly. may have to use enricher a little longer in cold weather though. any time one of my bikes start running rough or become hard to start, the very first thing i do is replace spark plugs with new. you'll need a good battery and good plugs and in my case, good points before you can tune your carb. also, if you think it is in fuel system, first check fuel filter, if you don't have a filter, you need one. anyway, if it was me, from what you say, first thing I'd do is change those plugs and then see what you got.

good luck, mike