April 28, 2024, 07:55:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

bent pushrod

Started by poorbiker, November 22, 2008, 08:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorbiker

Wouldnt ya know it, fix one thing and something else breaks. First the kicker gear and today a bent front cyl. intake pushrod, or really adjuster pushed up into the allum. rod housing. Guess I was lucky they wernt chromemolly. I guess I should pull the head but intake valve looks fine, sealing good, cant figure it. Oh well, tomorrow is another pain in my ass............... :cry:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"Effort takes no talent"

gilb

I know bad or old gas can bend push rods.  Had it happen on my 6 cyl old Chevy truck.

04customking

November 26, 2008, 08:33:33 AM #2 Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:29:20 PM by 04customking
You have to explain your bad gas observation to me. How does bad gas cause a bent pushrod? Running bad and backfires? That would be a stretch I think.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

MBSKEAM

I had the same thing happen to my  collony alum pushrods the steel part pushed up into them, to many High revs I guess....LOL

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

racerat

Hi, seen this before on a Pan.
Me and my mate checked it out on his Pan, and it seems that when the Pan get warmed up very well, the metal fillings in the oil between the Rocker Arms melted together with the Assemblies. So they get jammed. Valves where OK.
Best Regards,
Filip.
49% MotherFucker / 51% Son Of A Bitch (Motorhead-Legion)

gilb

04CustomKing,

Old or bad gas can cause the valve to stick or seize therefore bending the pushrod.  Just do a google search on "old gas bent pushrod" and you can find more info. 

04customking

Gilb, I did as you said and it is some interesting reading. I still don't buy it though. In the articles I pulled up there were way more people saying it was bs than saying it was true. Could it happen? Maybe, but I can't believe you could trace it back to bad gas. Just different opinions.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

MBSKEAM

I did not ask, but did you have your heads rebuilt?
higher spring pressure will also do this....

mbskeam

poorbiker

No, I have about 10.000 miles on this build, only new change was a cam, but the lift was almost identical and I checked clearences also. Nothing hit, everything is good. Pulled head on Sat. just as I thought, no issues, valves, everything good. Re-inspected my cam install, no issues everything correct....Go figure, I did however have a really nasty backfire but several days went by with driving daily before ticking started. Still waiting for pushrods to come in...
"Effort takes no talent"

racerat

Hi Poorbiker,
Did you also check the Rocker Arms & assemblies ? When they cool of they can work fine.. but with heat expansion they really can jam. I advise to check them for hard burned oil remaining.( see my previous reply)
Best Regards,
Fil.
49% MotherFucker / 51% Son Of A Bitch (Motorhead-Legion)

poorbiker

I actually pulled head off, but didnt look at the intake rocker assy. that closely. I still have it off, will take a closer look for scoring, metal or wear....
"Effort takes no talent"

MBSKEAM

measure things....

mbskeam

poorbiker

All back up and running, runs great, did about 90 miles no issues. Replaced all 4 pushrods, went with chrome molly, just cause they were what I could get. Oh well, freak thing I guess...
"Effort takes no talent"