April 27, 2024, 04:17:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

manifold o-rings and rubbers bands

Started by bigmic, November 22, 2008, 10:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmic

can anyone tell me can you run o-rings with the rubber bands on the manifold or is it only one or the other

Pzokes

I've never tried both together.  The aftermarket does make nylon adapter rings that glue to the heads and intake so you can use the rubber bands on a motor set up for "O" rings.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

catmcaw

I use the nylon rings (no glue) and bands.  Works for me.

Mule

If you have O ring heads and manifold you can run both together. I do on my wife's Shovel ,as I always had a problem on that one getting it to seal. I tried the adapter rings with a band manifold and didn't have good results. Running both O ring and the band cured the intake leaking problem along with the OEM clamps. I is a real PAIN to assemble with both, but can be done and does work...Mule...

NormL

I like the oring set up best.   When you assemble the heads you must align the heads to the manifold so that the orings can seal.  That's most important.  Some guys also wrap electrical tape around the orings to hold em in place becore they clamp em.  I don't do that myself.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

stroker800

Its always best to leave the heads loose after a rebuild to align the intake ports to manifold,,,I use the plastic adapter ringson my bikes and I hand dress them with a file to get a tiht fit.  On the "O" rings ,,Rivera recommends wrapping them in teflon tape ..I have done it with all the "O" rings over the years and had good luck with it.
Dave

randallwhitman

I've had the heads off my bike a million times.  The best way to assemble the manifold with o rings is to get this blue goo from Permatex that's used for assembling flexible parts that need to seal.  It has the consistency of Vaseline.  Just slobber it on the orings and the manifold and heads.  Everything will suddenly "pop" together, and the goo provides enough lube to get everything to "seat" properly without any leaks.  Piece of cake.  Good luck.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

MMOCGuy

I'm one of the guys who puts a wrap of black electrical tape around the O-Rings. I install the manifold and O-Rings then put one wrap of electrical tape around each O-Ring then install the clamps. Works like a charm for me. :up:

Hope this helps.

Norm.

dave_9113

I second the electrical tape use.  I tried teflon, which some guys use, but I could never get it to stay.  I have the o-ring heads. 

dave

mite5255

i use both and since using both i have not had any intake leaks

Bumpy1959

God Bless this Board and it's members! I've been fighting that darn O ring manifold for many years and never heard of, (or thought of), the teflon tape or electrical tape fix for holding the O rings in place when trying to put the manifold back on. No kidding, I read that post the night before I installed my, (new to me), CV carb on my 59 Pan/Shovel. Worked like a charm! I just finished putting the air cleaner on and haven't started the bike yet but when I do if I don't have any intake leaks I'm golden!
Thanks Fellas!
Bumpy 1959

tommc2000

Bumpy,

I too have just upgraded to a Cv on my Pan/Shovel. OT, but what did you use as a carb support? CV carb seems to stick out alittle farther than my old carb. Making a new strap to support carb. Sorry for the highjack.

Tom

76shuvlinoff

I'm not bumpy (well not much) but I used the same strap from the front rockerbox that I had on my E. I just heated it with a mapp torch and bent it in a vise until it fit.  A little elbow grease and it buffed right up.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway