vld gas tank water transfers or emblems, decals?

Started by hd76fxlr, October 18, 2009, 07:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76fxlr

hello to all, well i have had this ole 33 vld basket sitting around long enough and time to get back started on her, and figured if i got the metal painted, then that would really put a boot up my ass to finish this project. was wondering if any of you would know where a feller could buy gas tank water transfers, emblems, or decals for an ole 33 vld? any help would be appreciated. thank"s in advance.

4DWUDS

To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

Speeding Big Twin

You could also try Steve Slocombe at VL Heaven: http://www.vlheaven.com/

And Steve has a good book available covering all years of the V-series bikes. From the revised fourth edition published by VL Heaven 2007: 'The Eagle Head tank transfer was specified for 1933 only. The version with silver center is 5922-33 (being described in the reproduction as having a white center) while the black center version 5923-33 is also reproduced.'

How far have you got with the VLD? Engine done? Any photos? I've never had one of the V-series bikes but I'm interested in them and bought a copy of Steve's book to learn more about them.     Eric

hd76fxlr

thanks 4wuds, i did google vld tank decals before i went to this site. guess i should have left off the d huh? now with no picture to look at i dont know which one to order :emsad: will just have to keep diging :soda: thanks again.

hd76fxlr

hello to all.......  speeding big twin, thanks for the reply. my engine was built at a harley shop 20 something years ago, i beleive in port richey florida. that is where i purchased the basket. the bottom is together, so i will assemble the rest. the tranny is i beleive 36ish, and the wheels and hubs are not original. have a 36 front fender, and will be looking for 36 rear, or swap this fender in on a 33, and then hunt a 33 rear, now that would be tits. the tanks are original as far as i know, as the rest of the bike. these old vl's are beautiful machines. i had forgot about vl heaven, and i dug up his 1/9/2003 catalog. but i need to look at some pictures to know which ones i want. would anyone know of the part # of the decals on the 1933 vle he had for sale and sold-- he puts on some of his catalog fronts? the bike is black with red panels on top of fender and looks like gold pin stripping. the tanks are black with the big part of the transfer being red with gold harley-davidson lettering and the eagles head is white. i will post some pictures of this project when i get it dug out and on my  lift. i am usually not this long winded, but i just get excited talking about an old bike 76 years old, an i am gonna bring it back to life.  damn if this ole girl could just talk. :gob:

Speeding Big Twin

The bike you mentioned on the front of Steve’s 2003 book sounds like one on the front cover of the 2007 edition. It is black and red with an Eagle Head transfer. But I think the panel below the Eagle Head is painted. The panel isn’t a transfer. Regarding 1933, from Steve’s 2007 edition: ‘The second named color was used in the central fuel tank panel and as a broad stripe along the centerline of the mudguards in the case of the black/mandarin red combination.’

For the Harley-Davidson lettering transfer that goes on that panel, my 1926â€"1939 H-D parts catalog lists #5917-08B tank transfer, small (red center), for 1933. And #5917-08C tank transfer, small (gold center), also for 1933. Both of those descriptions are the same as given via the Harbor Vintage link above. I'll check my H-D books over the next day or two and see if I have any pictures of 1933 models.     Eric

Speeding Big Twin

Good photo. And it looks like you've got a great place to work on the bike. The first picture below is from Ride Free Forever, Part 1:

The next two are from a book titled Harley-Davidson which is a combination of three separate publications. Notice the differences from the first bike regarding the eagle, the red panel and the striping:

The final two shots are from the same book as pictures two and three. But again there are dissimilarities, especially with the eagle head. Maybe it's a custom transfer or maybe it's custom painted? Also notice the differences in the striping on the battery box and the mudguards.     Eric

ricochet

Wow!  Thanks for posting those pics.  I've really lost sight of how beautiful some of these old pieces can be.  That's one for sure.  About as classy as a classic can be.

ricochet