May 01, 2024, 09:42:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Camshaft Lifespan ????

Started by DarrellV, November 23, 2008, 05:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellV

Just wanted to start a post on the lifespan of TC cams. I know there is a shorter lifespan on lifters than the cams them self. But working on older cars/trucks etc. you can come across motors with worn lobs on the cams. But mostly on HD motors people trade cams for personal reasons not because they are "junk".

How many miles are cams good for? Buying used cams ever scare anyone? What I'm getting at is if you buy a used set of cams and install them with new lifters. Is there a liftspan mile wise on the cams themself? Has anyone ever seen a cam lob worn from a TC motor enough to replace?

Clintster

I have been a member here since 02, seen cam failures reported only a couple of times.  Maybe one of the techs will weigh in, somebody who does this work everyday.  One time, one of the dealers had a bad run, they, I think, they are all mostly made by Andrews. Those cams had manufactured defects.   Some time you see the hardened area breaking down.  I wonder myself if they have been run when there have been oiling issues.  I guess the length of the cams have so many factors to consider.  I see these guys with bikes reporting over 100k and engines never opened up.  Then there are the guys, myself included , cams last 20k and they are get changed to another build.  I had a set of SE 211's I ran the snot out of the build and they looked good after 25k.  Now lifters they fail, mine usually last 3-6k, one fails and I replace them all.
Drive fast, take chances

ederdelyi

This is kind of like asking "How long will i live?" ... the answer ... It depends!

There are *many* factors that can determine how long a camshaft and lifters will last. You can wipe a cam and lifters out as soon as the motor is started for the first time (even with roller lifters) if things aren't right. That same cam and lifters in another setup and built/prelubed properly might go over 100K and still be "good".

Unless you can inspect a used cam *before* you buy it, or have a no questions money back guarantee I would probably pass on a used cam. I'm sure that there are some good deals out there and many of the cams are just fine ... just not my thing, and I hate E-Bay and Flea Markets too!

DarrellV

Quote from: Clintster on November 23, 2008, 05:29:51 AM
I have been a member here since 02, seen cam failures reported only a couple of times.  Maybe one of the techs will weigh in, somebody who does this work everyday.  One time, one of the dealers had a bad run, they, I think, they are all mostly made by Andrews. Those cams had manufactured defects.   Some time you see the hardened area breaking down.  I wonder myself if they have been run when there have been oiling issues.  I guess the length of the cams have so many factors to consider.  I see these guys with bikes reporting over 100k and engines never opened up.  Then there are the guys, myself included , cams last 20k and they are get changed to another build.  I had a set of SE 211's I ran the snot out of the build and they looked good after 25k.  Now lifters they fail, mine usually last 3-6k, one fails and I replace them all.
I agree. My 02 motor has 97k and I put the gear drive {26g Andrews} in around 30k maybe. Other than rock box gasket junk the motor never has been apart. Even stock Stator. I'm rounding up parts to do a top end one day to fresh'n up the motor and curious about my cams.

smoserx1

My bike was one of the 99s that had the cam bearing failure, so the entire assembly was replaced at 34000 miles.  Last year I decided it was time to replace the tensioners.  The bike had 104K, so the cams and tensioners then had 70K.  I also decided I would replace the stock cams with 203s.  As you might imagine the tensioners were very worn, but so were the stock cams.  They are supposed to have a lift of .476, but all the lobes were around .385-.390, so about 20% of the lift was gone.  I would call that worn out.  So for any of you contemplating gear drive or roller chain conversion and thinking you will never have to service your cams again, it isn’t necessarily so.

Sonny S.

I have seen a lot of stock Harley cams with 40-50K, and enough wear that you could catch a fingernail on it.
Lifter rollers often look better than the cam lobes. IMHO, stock cams ( not SE ) are soft.

Bakon

Got a stock set from an 06 Streetglide if anyone wants them. 10 miles, look like new!
wasting time

DarrellV

Learning more and more {everyday}. Maybe 60-80k IS ALOT of miles on a set of cams? I have Andrews Cams in mine but I have allot of miles on them. Maybe they need replaced when I do the top end to fresh'n the motor up ?????  :cry: