April 27, 2024, 10:57:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

E75, L75, What's the difference?

Started by drs23, October 21, 2009, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drs23

I need to put an air filter on a '75 XLH that I have in right now. It has the stock butterfly carb with what I believe to be the stock backing plate. When I went to order an element they're different between the two. How does one tell the difference between early and late '75? Don't wanna order the wrong one and be stuck with it. Would the VIN do it? Reason I ask is this thing is far from the way it was originally. Fatbobs, wide-glide rear fender, aftermarket forward controls, etc....

Thanks much,

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

saltcaveminer

the parts manual describes the late 75 type back plate as (snorkel type).the filter element is 3 1/2 inches wide.the early 75 filter element can be either 2 5/8 inches or 3 inches wide.hope this helps.Salty

drs23

Salty,

Thanks. Ordered what I think is the correct one today. Will find out tomorrow.

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

amf 71flh

ran into that same problen with my 76 when ordering a K&N. I think the foam ones are all the same as I've never had a problem getting them to fit. Do you have the stock ham can chrome cover? :wtf: