May 02, 2024, 05:19:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Putting a Keihin CV 40mm carb on my 1985 Softail

Started by tgrover, November 23, 2008, 07:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgrover

Hello everyone, my name is Terry and this is my first post although I've been lurking in this group ever since finding it on MSN a few months ago.  I have a 1985 Softail and I want to swap my old Keihin butterfly carb out for a Keihin CV carb.  I found a good deal on a new CV carb on ebay and now I have some questions on how to go about with the swap.  I'd like to get rid of the compliance fittings and use a solid intake manifold.  Does anyone here have a HD part number for the correct intake manifold, including flanges, gaskets, and or o-rings I should use?  The CV carb I have is not a flange mount carb but looks like it uses a rubber fitting to attach to the intake, does anyone have the HD part number for this?  Also I'm wondering which choke cable I should use.  I'd like to keep the dash mounting location for the choke cable.  Does anyone here have a HD part number for the correct choke cable I should use?  I noticed that the air cleaner mounting holes on the CV carb are in different locations than on my original carb, can I still use my original air cleaner mounting bracket and just drill new holes in the bracket?  Is the spacing on the bracket going to be different with the new carb and intake setup?  I'm referring here to where the air cleaner bracket mounts to the heads.  I forgot to mention this earlier and I'm not sure if it will be helpful in answering my questions but the part number for the new CV carb is 27413-99. 

Thanks,
Terry

Caper

The intake manifold is 27019-89, the seal ring(where carb mounts to manifold)27002-89, rear mounting flange 27009-86A front flange 27010-86A mounting screws 3275(4 of them) intake manifold seals(2) 26995-86B
I don't know if you will be able to use the original choke cable location for the enrichener cable I don't have a number for the cable, just ask em for it. Hope this helps so far.

JBarrettB

Don't forget about throttle cables, you will need to replace them as well. I would find a CV style air cleaner, mostly because its backing plate secures the carb to the motorcycle at the heads. You won't find an enrichner cable that will work in the original location, but fabing a choke bracket to hang on the horn mount is no big deal. The CV upgrade is definitely worth the trouble. Good luck.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

Porkchop

You won't be sorry with this upgrade.  The CV is a much better carb than the Kehien that came stock with this.  My 85 flht ran so much better with the CV. I then went with new 100 in motor w/mikuni. :teeth:
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

tgrover

Caper, thanks for the part numbers.  I think you're right about the choke cable, I'm thinking about making a bracket to mount on the horn bracket, a stock CV choke cable might reach there.
JBarrettB, thanks for the heads up on the throttle cables.  Do you think a set of cables for a 1990 or later Evo will fit my hand controls?
Porkchop, I agree with you.  This looks like the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Terry

Caper

The enricher cable mount is a slotted tab on the top motor mount, so it will fit by your horn, you could make a bracket to mount it there or tac a tab on the top mount toward the rear cyl. 90-95 cables should fit your hand controls, they don't thread in from 96-up. When your mounting the carb on the manifold put the seal ring on the manifold first, then lube the seal ring with some WD40 or similar stuff and it will slide on/in easily.