April 30, 2024, 05:05:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

shifting problem

Started by 48pan, October 26, 2009, 06:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

October 26, 2009, 06:29:32 AM Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:40:18 AM by 48pan
After taking the tranny out twice trying to fix a problem shifting 2nd to 3rd. It still shifts the same. Someone said it might be the bearing on the 3rd gear.
If you hold the foot lever up as you let out the clutch it shifts, if you don't hold it up it usually hits neutral. And you shouldn't have to hold the shifter lever up as you let out the clutch.
Any thoughts.
It's a 76 shovel with a ratchet lid and it came this way. I don't know the history. Just trying to upgrade to a modern bike with an electric start.

xlfan

Sounds like you need to shim shifter forks. You could take a look inside shifter cover as well, check pawls for wear and springs (all 4)

xlfan

48pan

October 26, 2009, 04:20:22 PM #2 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:22:23 PM by 48pan
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean about shimming forks. I took the tranny to a indy, he checked the forks and the alignment with forks and the rachet lid. Just looking at the gears without taking the tranny apart everything looked ok

xlfan

I meant what you say have been done. Centering shifter forks between gears in neutral in relation to shifter drum. Did you check that dogs weren't rounded on clutches and gears? Could also be a problems with shifter pawl and pawl springs inside shifter cover, the large springs can actually brake.

xlfan

48pan

October 27, 2009, 06:12:09 AM #4 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:42:41 AM by 48pan
Everything in the ratchet lid is OK and without removing the gears everything looked OK.
Someone said that if the 3rd gear bearing is worn it might cause shifting problems.
I guess I should have taken the blanking tranny apart while I had it out.
Thanks for your imput.