April 27, 2024, 07:09:28 AM

News:

v-rod fork

Started by harleytoprock, October 26, 2009, 07:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytoprock

I've never ridden a V-rod but I'm curious how the well the front suspension works. Because of the severe fork rake angle it looks like the sliders won't slide all that good. How well does your fork work under mild or big bumps? I know that choppers, with real crazy rakes, will have fork tube flex before the sliders actually move. Does the V-rod have the same issue?

bcrichard

the forks work fine on the bumps (I've owned three softails before the Vrod and can say the handling is very good in comparison)

harborjohn

The V-Rod does ride well, but your right about the sliders not sliding up and down as much as other bikes with less rake.

x52gnr

Handles very well...and I agree there does not seem to be the same amount of travel, ride is not bad at all
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Hal64hd

The V-rod forks are a stout 49mm so no flex problem. After I had the Ricor Intiminators installed the front forks are excellent as far as movement and the ability to absorb the road feedback

rbonner

I went on a HD demo days ride in 06 determined to buy a V-Rod.  My kid had just turned 14 and it was time for him to have a Harley.

I climbed on the V-Rod, it rode good, of course was very zippy.  But me coming from touring bikes and even choppers had a couple complaints myself.  In my opinion and this is ONLY my opinion the V-Rod is not a sport bike.  I was looking for a sport bike, not as far as a Buell, but I was an open minded canvas for something exhilarating.

I wasn't comfortable on the forward pegs and I didn't care for the "C" arms and legs riding position.  It was so very Willie G's idea of sport touring.  Then I did a couple very quick lane changes and I came away from that experience feeling very early FX or sportster and that the fork SCREAMED for a tweak bar.  Of course they make them...  I also had one on my FXS fork and it cleaned up tire slop when doing maneuvers.

Then my next ride, I climbed on the VRSCR.  Inverted fork, less rake, mid controls and when I did the lane change stuff IT really changed lanes.  No flex in that fork at all..  On longer trips the kid wishes he had a V-Rod but when wheeling around he wished the "R" had 100 more HP.  Never can win with kids.

SO.  I'm being very critical on the V-Rod's go ride one at your Harley dealer.  They get better every year.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

bikerider58

So, the kid is 14 and 130mph isn't fast enough for him?  Next time get the Busa.

The forward controls aren't for everyone.  If you are an airhead HD rider, it is a different engine, so you have to think Ducati when riding a VRSC model.

rbonner

Yeah the kid is now 19 and in college.  He's had a lot of good years riding the "R".  If he wants that Ducati we looked at or the Buell 1125r we demo days he can get a job, pay for his college and the bike.  I don't think we'll be hearing too many more low HP complaints.  BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper