May 02, 2024, 12:27:55 AM

News:

my bike has the flu

Started by mikeb, November 23, 2008, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb

my 1998  evo police bike started puking up oil yesterday when i was warming it up in the garage in preparation for an oil change.i checked the transmission and it is bone dry.i was running a heavier than usual gear oil and the pressure was to much.after closer inspection im hoping that it is going to be a minor repair.im hoping there is some kind of vent hole that it spewd out of and not a seal.cross my fingers.going back to 20-50w full syn for the trans i think.any one else experiance this problem?????

riden2low

came back from a ride once this last Summer and my bike left a big oil spill. Mine was the trans oil seal. Sorry but looks like you have something to keep you busy thru the winter months. I did mine my self. Got the proper sockets and read my manual. Just came from a 2000 mile ride a month ago and still the trans oil level pretty close to the level mark.

mikeb

where exactly is this seal located?

riden2low

the primary case has to come off to get to it. Smell the oil.......if it smells like your engine oil, it is the primary but the trans oil has a different smell

riden2low

some pictures..........one is the leak and the other is the new Baker sprocket and Jim's new locking retainer and nut that is made into one unit. It will never come back off again.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

mikeb

im expecting the worse but i found a vented house coming out of the transmison and its wet.im sure that the oil came from there.i checked the trasmission and its empty of fluids.

riden2low

well, you can try to refill the trans and run it again to see if that is the problem. Hope it will be your problem but if not you have some work to do. I just took my time and did it. It took a couple of specialty tool that you can pick up on Ebay......sockets I got from Napa. But had most tools so it was easy for me. Check your dealer or who you have to wrench on your bike. If you figure your time and the cost of tools to do the job, you could have taken it to someone and not worry. Me I do my own work so I enjoy it and the satisfaction of doing it your self sort of makes a guy feel pretty good

Justpassingas

I have 98RK and I run 75w90 in my tranny    Did you check the transmission oil level with the bike upright or leaning on the kick stand.Should be check upright and not leaning on the stand.  the U shape rubber breather hose on the top of the tranny will leak oil out of there from time to time...at least mine has. For starters I'd pull the drain plug on the tranny and make sure its empty....refill with not more then 24 ounces if you should  add more then oil will puke out of the breather(ask me how I know)...put a few miles on the bike and check the oil level  then see if it still leaks...no leaks and you don't have to replace the tranny seal or quad seal otherwise you may be pulling the inner primary off....BTW you'll need a special 2 1/8 deep socket for the pully nut....check the homemade tools thread
For Duty and Humanity

Justpassingas

For Duty and Humanity

mikeb

thanks for all the suggestions guys.will keep you posted how this all works out.

Hillside Motorcycle

Red Line Shockproof oil has a pink dye in it to alert to where the leak is.
Also, when you pull the pulley, make sure the splines are intact.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

mikeb

i removed the remainder of oil left in the trannie and replaced it with mobile 1 20w/50 ful syn.i ran the bike till she was warmed up inspected under the bike.no leaks .ran the bike in the driveway  and parked it after that and looked under the bike .no leak.it must have been that 75w/140 and perhaps it was overfilled a tad.problem solved.thanks for everyone that responded.