May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM

News:

speedo cuts out during quick acceleration

Started by 05softail, November 23, 2008, 09:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05softail

This just started a few days ago. My job is about 5 miles from the freeway. The last three times I've accelerated down the on ramp the speedo drops to zero, the odometer goes blank and the speedo light cuts out. This only lasts for about a second. It's only happened three times (three days in a row) and only during that first moderate acceleration (half throttle or more) at the top of second gear. I can not reduplicated it afterwards no matter how hard I try. No codes stored and no drivability conditions exist.   

I have been riding in a lot of rain and some snow the last week or so and I park my bike in the warm shop at work so it's been subjected to wide humidity and temperature fluctuations. May just be some corrosion under the console at the speedo connector.

I've been sick in bed all weekend and don't feel like going out the the cold garage just yet.

Any ideas?   

Scurvy

With the bike on, rock the ignition switch and see if you can duplicate the problem. on my '05 softail, my switch developed a bad spot and it would display the same issue during hard acceleration (hard vibration). I replaced the switch.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

05softail

Great idea!
Was thinking speedo, but now that you mention it the switch has gotten looser over time. I will check it in the morning.

Thank you  :up: