April 28, 2024, 10:55:17 AM

News:

'01 FLHT gas gauge acting up

Started by txrider, October 28, 2009, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txrider

Gauge reads fine when bike is on side stand. But when I hold it upright the needle moves & shudders back and forth between full and empty. I have the service manual and I've had the console off before but I was wondering if I could change the sender in the tank if I had to without draining the fuel and removing the tank. I'm thinking first I'd pull the front fairing to see if I have any loose connections behind the gauge itself (wishful thinking) and then pull the console and check connection there. Any input from experience appreciated.

rigidthumper

99% of the issues I've had with floppy gauges were fixed with a new gauge. The sending unit (in tank) only reports what the float is doing. The gauge is responsible for smoothing the signal before it goes to the needle. Replacement of the gauge is in order, here, I believe.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

txrider

Thanks..makes sense. Wasn't much of a gauge anyway below 1/2. Maybe I'll just keep using the odometer and disconnect the gauge under the seat. Ken

BikerJim44

Tx, Pull the counsel then look at the plate for the sending unit. It should have a cork gasket under it. Embedded into that gasket is a brass staple that makes a ground connection. The staple can get over squished and lose contact causing irregular readings. Carefully loosen the staple and clean it well with a wire brush then reset it making sure it will make metal to metal contact. Clean the surface of the tank where the unit installs and then see if that doesn't help clear it up. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.