May 01, 2024, 09:43:51 PM

News:

Removing tank from EFI bike

Started by nightmare7306, November 23, 2008, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightmare7306

Is there a special tool to remove the fuel line from the tank? Bike is 2006 FXSTBI.

Billy

Your fingers!

Just push the chrome ring up and the black elbow will be freed.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Mike52

nightmare, do just as Billy said, it's like a quick disconnect type fitting, push up on the chrome ring as you pull down on the elbow, be careful as some gas can squirt out, don't want it to spray in your eyes.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

crazycalvin

Does the tank have to be drained before you can remove it? 

Mike52

Quote from: crazycalvin on November 23, 2008, 03:21:09 PM

I would, you still have to take the front cross-over line loose.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

nightmare7306

Thanks for your help guys. Always got help close at hand thanks to this site!

BrianK

You really should purge your gas line before removing from the tank - it's under pressure!

Just remove the fuse to your fuel pump and run the bike til it stalls.  Line is now purged, safe to remove.

Gotta have a service manual....worthwhile investment!

Dennis The Menace

BrianK's advise is step 1 !!!!  Dont ask me how I know. 

Also, be careful with the hose once disconnected...its $46.00 for a new one.  Again, dont ask me how I know.

Once you get the front crossover off (prior to 08 models), its best to replace it with the braided steel line ($36.00).  Much easier.  And, no....you cant ask me how I know.

Menace

torque4me

ummm this works

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"what the heck do I know?"

Ultrashovel

Remove the master fuse before you do that and run the fuel out of the system. Then disconnect. See the manual first.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: Mike52 on November 23, 2008, 03:34:25 PM
Quote from: crazycalvin on November 23, 2008, 03:21:09 PM

I would, you still have to take the front cross-over line loose.

Mike

What he said.  I used a Automatic Transmission funnel to drain from the crossover into a 5 gallon gas can.  Got most of it in the can that way.

crazycalvin

Good idea Road King John.  I saw an indy with an electric fuel pump on a handle connected to a battery with a switch and he would just siphen the tank.  It worked pretty slick.  Later, Calvin.

Arrowsmit

No matter how careful I tried to be I always made a stinkin mess when taking off the tank until I installed one of (fellow forum member) Herkos QD's for the x-over. It won't help this time of course, but while ya got the tank off is the time to install one these - end of problem.

VicW.

HarleyCharley

Hey Dennis can you expand on how you know?   :teeth:

Arrowsmit me too..... :embarrassed:

Faast Ed

I had good luck avoiding the mess by emptying the tank first. I even use a flashlight and aim the syphon hose right at the crossover drain hole to get every last drop.  A towel over the motor catches the last few dribbles.

Of course it would not be conveneint to do this if I had to do it often (eats up time).
≡Faast Ed>