April 27, 2024, 09:52:37 PM

News:

Clutch adjustment

Started by nubs77, November 24, 2008, 03:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nubs77

Helping a friend with a 1982 ironhead. And I can not get the clutch adjusted right.
I have a service manual, but it is for an earlier sportster. Could any body help me out
with this one.

Thanks
Nubs
F**K IT

panz4ever

GOT A CLUMER BOOK THAT I CAN PULL INFO FROM. GUESS THE QUESTION I HAVE IS HOW FAR DOWN DID YOU TAKE THE CLUTCH.  IS IT THE  CLUTCH RELEASE MECHANISM YOU ARE REFERRING TO OR DID YOU NEED PROCEDURE FOR THE CLUTCH INSTALLATION AS WELL. ADJUSTING CLUTCH RELEASE MECHANISM IS THE SAME FROM 71-84, PUTTING THE GUTS BACK TOGETHER CHANGED IN 74.

nubs77

I replased the primary gasket. I just need to know how to adjust the clutch lever
F**K IT

pappyfreebird

November 24, 2008, 07:45:57 AM #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:50:45 AM by pappyfreebird
ifn shes jus grabby  run her against a tree n shmoke that fuggar a couple times,,dont let loose on tire jus nuff ta shmoke the discs..werked fer me n bout 6 uddas many times,,after sittin theyd git jumpie like at..oops shnuck in under me there...ain the adj. right there at end of cable (in the primary)

panz4ever

1. Loosen locknut then turn cable adjuster clockwise until there is excessive freeplay at the clutch lever

2. Loosen adjusting screw locknut and turn clutch release adjusting screw clockwise until it becomes harder to turn. Then turn additional 2 turns to make sure the clutch is disengaged.

3. Turn cable adjuster counterclockwise  to remove all clutch cable freeplay (Note...do not turn the cable adjuster so that there is excessive tension on the clutch cable).

4. With cable slack removed from the clutch cable, tighten the locknut.

5. Loosen adjusting screw locknut until it moves freely (no tension). Then turn the screw until it seats tightly. from this point, turn the screw counterclockwise 1/4 -1/2 turn (1971-1978) or 1/8-1/4 turn (1979-E1984).

6. Hold adjusting screw in position and tighten the locknut.

7. Check clutch lever freeplay; it should be 1/8 inch, if not loosen locknut and turn cable adjuster as required and tighten locknut