April 28, 2024, 05:27:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

November post

Started by ccrane2299, November 06, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccrane2299

I did what the v rod guys call a powerline mod to my pipes. I think it looks like it should have from the factory.

FSG

Can you explain powerline mod to the uneducated air cooled guys that may come here for a look.

Hal64hd

Its a modified third volume,which is just before the mufflers. It is cut back from a 2 into 1 into 2, and made into a 2 into 1 and uses the top muffler instead of 2 mufflers. It saves a bunch of weight and looks and performs well

FSG

:up:   learn something new every day, thanx

ccrane2299

^what he said...

I saved about 20 pounds by ditching the other muffler, the guts from the top muffler, and what I cut off of the third volume. It took about ten hours and a half roll of welding wire.

rbonner

I've got an "R" and I drilled 8 holes around the outlet on both the stacks..  Sure lets a lot of gas out.  It does sputter more like it needs a power commander to tweak it some.  That pipe does LOOK like it should have come from the factory, slick and clean.  I was thinking maybe the V&H destroyer unit with baffle; a guy in town here has one.

Did you dyno your mods at all?

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

ccrane2299

No dyno....except for the butt dyno. It feels about the same. I just had neck fusion 4 weeks ago today. I snuck in a little putt on Sunday. It was my first ride in a month and I was being reaaallly careful. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to whack the throttle until my head grows back on...lol

76shuvlinoff

If that mod does not negatively affect performance it ought to be a requirement ....or at least a factory option.

IMHO the bike looks like it lost 100 lbs...  Looks great!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbonner

Oh yeah really C, there's nothing worse than hitting the throttle and then your head pops off, keeps rolling flip flop for about 200 feet down the middle lane...

OH, yeah one thing worse, Garbage truck runs you over.  BAD.  Get better bro, and go pull the trigger.

BOB

ccrane2299

After I finished, I weighed the leftover scrap and it was 19 pounds.

I Think the head is growing back as good as it can, but this tropical storm/ low pressure system has taught me that I will be able to predict the weather by the neck pain.

rbonner

This rider needs to drop 100#...  I Donno, the pipes on the "R" are sexier out of the box, but your mod is like Catching the WAVE.  When I get this shovel rebuild done I think I will put a V&H Destroyer on and tweak the FI system.

That ought to be about 45# off the "R"

BOB