May 08, 2024, 02:18:39 PM

News:

Trimming down a windshield

Started by wahoo54, November 06, 2009, 06:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wahoo54

Hey all,

I have a 95 ST heritage and scratched my windshield at the top.  Instead of buying a new one I thought I would just cut it down.  I'm not tall and so having it a little shorter would help.  Any suggestions on how to cut it down and make it look like it came that way?  What kind of cutting tool?  Do you sand the edges once you've made the cut to smooth them?  ANy help much appreciated.

JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Dennis The Menace

I looked through the thread, and can only add its easier to cut the shield on the bike, than off of it.  Having the shield held rigid is key to a clean cut.

menace

Ultraman

I have found that a medium file will clean up the edge to a very clean finish. Follow up with a propane torch. Just very gently brush the flame along the edge, never stopping the motion. You can get the very edge to roll just like the factory finish. Just melts the edges to a clear bead. Practice on the bottom edge or the cut pieces.
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

Ardy

I took mine to a auto glass shop and the guy cut 1 1/2" off for $20.00. I finished at home with a propane torch, looks great.
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

Ed Y

I've successfully cut a few using a scroll saw and masking tape on the saw table and the windshield. Works great. Go slow. 3-4 grades of sandpapers will finish up the edge.